Please do NOT post requests for help here. Use the Help forum for that.

TOPIC: Display of name in "Relationships"

Display of name in "Relationships" 1 year 8 months ago #1

• HRN
  • Senior
In relationship chart, if you untick "Show Details", the names in indi boxes are displayed as populated from the GIVN/SURN fields.
This looks quite messy if you have a comma-separated list of names.
Any rationale behind this? Shouldn't we display primary NAME throughout all charts?

rel2.JPG

rel1.JPG
webtrees 1.6.0 at visitusinmaputo.com/webtree
PHP 5.3.3, mysql 5.0.83
Latest 1.6 dev on local test site: Apache 2.4.3, php 5.4.7, MySQL 5.5.27
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Display of name in "Relationships" 1 year 8 months ago #2

Shouldn't we display primary NAME throughout all charts?

I agree.

But there is the question of what to do when you have long names and limited space.

It is (mostly!) possible to generate an abbreviated name from the GIVN/SURN fields. It is much harder to generate one from the NAME field.

Any suggestions?
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Display of name in "Relationships" 1 year 8 months ago #3

I would suspect that you will also see issues when SURN come before GIVN in a Asian display. I think the only way you know this is by looking at the NAME tag.

Most of my older relations did not have surname, so the SURN tag gets used to group individuals together that are from(born at) the same farm. Historically the "Farm Name" very often became the surname after 1924.
Ken

Display of name in "Relationships" 1 year 8 months ago #4

• bertkoor
  • Frequent
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
But there is the question of what to do when you have long names and limited space.
I'd humbly advice to use function getFullName() consistently. I think that "name" is also used in the Fan chart, and space there is even more limited than on the charts that show blocks for each person.
stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.5.3
Moderators: makitso