Web based family history software

Question Show only inactive places

• eyolf
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 8 months ago #1 by eyolf
Show only inactive places was created by eyolf
In the Geographic data window of the GoogleMaps module there is an option to "Show inactive places". What would have been highly useful also would be an option to show ONLY inactive places. That, in combination with an option to select several/all items an mass-delete them would be a useful tool to clean up the placelocations file.

webtrees 2.1.16
[url] oestrem.com/webtrees [/url]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jacoline
  • Away
More
10 years 8 months ago #2 by Jacoline
Replied by Jacoline on topic Show only inactive places
Thumbs up for this suggestion.

I did it in the hard way and it took ages. I can only agree with you.

Still a noob
(1st installation at 7-21-2010)

More
10 years 8 months ago #3 by kiwi
Replied by kiwi on topic Show only inactive places

Jacoline wrote: Thumbs up for this suggestion.

Out of interest, why did you do it? Inactive places in the table are harmless, and remain available for future use.

• Jacoline
  • Away
More
10 years 8 months ago #4 by Jacoline

kiwi wrote:

Out of interest, why did you do it? Inactive places in the table are harmless, and remain available for future use.

I had two reason to do so. Before 1970 Denmark named the regions as Herred and all my places where named Herred and Amt. And it could not be done with replace because it was a whole new region system. And again in 2007 they removed "Amt" with a new region system again. So I fixed all this and used the old phrases with Herred and Amt as source instead. Because all churce books are in this Herred/Amt system. It was very confusing and understandable if you find it too :)

The second reason is because of if you click on places (ex. Denmark) it will show all the old Herred and Amt as region - which does not exist. And I want my statistics to be as correct as possible :)

Still a noob

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #5 by kiwi

Jacoline wrote:

kiwi wrote:

I had two reason to do so. Before 1970 Denmark named the regions as Herred and all my places where named Herred and Amt. And it could not be done with replace because it was a whole new region system. And again in 2007 they removed "Amt" with a new region system again. So I fixed all this and used the old phrases with Herred and Amt as source instead. Because all churce books are in this Herred/Amt system. It was very confusing and understandable if you find it too :)

The second reason is because of if you click on places (ex. Denmark) it will show all the old Herred and Amt as region - which does not exist. And I want my statistics to be as correct as possible :)

Sounds like quite a job, but I do not understand what it as to do with the "Show inactive paces" option, that this RFN is.about.
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by kiwi.

• Jacoline
  • Away
More
10 years 8 months ago #6 by Jacoline
Was more meant with the none used places so I could have deleted them faster rather than checking/deleting one by one

Still a noob

• eyolf
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #7 by eyolf
Replied by eyolf on topic Show only inactive places
I'll add two more reasons:
1. If for some reason one has had to correct a place name (adding an extra level, spelling, etc.), one wouldn't want the wrong version to hang around.
2. This is probably the most common reason for errors in my list: in the edit window (Google map), if I search for the pre-filled name and it isn't found, I try another spelling, just to get out ouf the Gulf of Guinea, and if I accidentally hit enter, the new value gets added to the table instead of the correctly imported one.

In both cases, the result is erroneous entries that you wouldn't want to have around even if they don't do any harm.

webtrees 2.1.16
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by eyolf.

More
10 years 8 months ago #8 by JustCarmen
Replied by JustCarmen on topic Show only inactive places

I'll add two more reasons:
1. If for some reason one has had to correct a place name (adding an extra level, spelling, etc.), one wouldn't want the wrong version to hang around.
2. This is probably the most common reason for errors in my list: in the edit window (Google map), if I search for the pre-filled name and it isn't found, I try another spelling, just to get out ouf the Gulf of Guinea, and if I accidentally hit enter, the new value gets added to the table instead of the correctly imported one.

I agree with you. I am going through my google maps places table on a regular bases to correct or delete inactive places. I would be nice if there was an option to show ONLY the inactive places. It happens to me often that I used the enter button to fast, when the pre-filled name is not showed up yet. Then I end up with a place like Rotterdam, in stead of Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Nederland. I usually correct this immediately on the individual so I end up with an inactive place name. If this one is not pulled out of the places table the consequence is that there are two versions of the same place name. One with all the coordinates, levels and flags filled and a wrong one. So by checking the inactive places it keeps the places table clean and prevent more mistakes.

Carmen
Designer of the JustLight theme (comes with a light and dark color palette), Fancy Imagebar, Fancy Research Links and Fancy Treeview for webtrees 2

Check my website at www.justcarmen.nl

More
10 years 8 months ago #9 by kiwi
The first part of this, an option to show All, Active, or Inactive places, is added to svn now. Default is "Active".

• eyolf
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 8 months ago #10 by eyolf
Replied by eyolf on topic Show only inactive places
Excellent! Thanks

webtrees 2.1.16

More
10 years 8 months ago #11 by kiwi
I've now included the second part. Both parts need some testing though if anyone can, please. They are available in SVN, branch/1.4, revision 15295. I haven't added them to the trunk version as I'm not sure what impact changes in webtrees 1.5 might have on this feature, if any.

More
10 years 8 months ago #12 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Show only inactive places
New developments really ought to take place in the trunk.

I'm only back-porting bug-fixes for either serious errors or one-line fixes into the 1.4 branch.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
10 years 8 months ago #13 by kiwi
Unfortunately I'm not yet comfortable using 1.5 for anything other than cursory review from time to time. But I won't commit any more changes to 1.4 branch. I'll keep them in my local copy.

More
10 years 8 months ago #14 by JustCarmen
Replied by JustCarmen on topic Show only inactive places
Hi Nigel, I am happy to test it for you but I can't find the 1.4 branch. I never look for revisions on launchpad because I do my imports with smartsvn, but that is the 1.5 branch, so svn 15295 is missing there.
Maybe you can give me a hint...

Carmen
Designer of the JustLight theme (comes with a light and dark color palette), Fancy Imagebar, Fancy Research Links and Fancy Treeview for webtrees 2

Check my website at www.justcarmen.nl

More
10 years 8 months ago #15 by kiwi
That means you are looking at 'trunk'. You need to go up to find the 'branches' sub-folder, then open that for 1.4. But email me if that's not possible and I'll send you the file revised files. There are only 3 or 4, but in different parts of the system

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #16 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic Show only inactive places
So far, so good, although three places remained 'inactive' but did contain additional places and therefore could not be deleted without burrowing deeper (which was and is the previous necessary actions), however, these deeper places do not show as inactive. Strange.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by ToyGuy.

More
10 years 8 months ago #17 by kiwi
I found a few like that in my (test) system. They were places I had added at lower levels and then later changed the PLAC tag which broke the correct hierarchy. Strange but true. "Inactive" simply means not matched between PLAC tags and GM data list. Nothing in this mod alters that definition.

More
10 years 8 months ago #18 by kiwi
To make it easy to test / use these new features, and avoid confusion with 1.4/1.5 versions of webtrees I have added them as a new "simpl_module". It's a complete replacement for the standard googlemaps module, and the same as that except for the changes to Administration > Geographic data discussed in this RFN.

It can be downloaded from kiwitrees.net/simpl-add-ons/?category=6