Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.5.x). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.

Question Server 500 Errors from non existant media links

• brian
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #1 by brian
I uploaded a gedcom file but the media images don't exist on the server.

attempting to Edit the images under Media results in the following server 500 error, displaying page.

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@webtrees.my domain.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

From my Server Error log

[Tue Jul 22 16:36:03 2014] [error] [client my IP] File does not exist: /home/thebfile/public_html/webtrees/500.shtml
[Tue Jul 22 16:36:03 2014] [error] [client my IP] ] [notice] EACCELERATOR(817616): PHP crashed on opline -3689348814741910297 of loadClassLoader() at /home/[my domain]//public_html/webtrees/library/composer/autoload_real.php:23
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by brian. Reason: hiding my domain name

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #2 by bertkoor
Hi Brian,

Media files are not included in the GEDCOM file, you need to upload them seperately to your site. Usually the folder for that is ./media. If your GEDCOM file has an absolute path stored for media (e.g. C:\Documents\...) then the GEDCOM Import in webtrees offers the option to strip that off.

There's a Wiki article dedicated to media management here: wiki.webtrees.net/en/Media_Management#Media_storage

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by bertkoor.

• brian
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #3 by brian
Thanks for the advice on correcting my media links. I guess not withstanding my gedcom import issue the PHP crash suggests there is some problematic exception handing for no existant media. It crashes my server and I have to wait until some services restart. I'm running PHP 5.3.

PHP crashed on opline -3689348814741910297 of loadClassLoader() at /home/[my domain]//public_html/webtrees/library/composer/autoload_real.php:23
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by brian. Reason: hiding my domain name

More
9 years 8 months ago #4 by vytux
I seem to recall that recently there was another problem with EACCELERATOR crashing, might be an idea to disable that and try again?

Vytautas

webtrees 1.7.9 (MODS: vytux_cousins, vytux_gallery3, vytux_pages, fancy_imagebar, fancy_treeview, Ancestral fan chart)
PHP 7.1.2, MySQL 5.7.17 x86_64 GPL, Nginx (mainline)
ged.vytux.com
Help translate Vytux Modules at translate.vytux.com/

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #5 by Jackie

brian wrote:
PHP crashed on opline -3689348814741910297 of loadClassLoader() at /home/thebfile/public_html/webtrees/library/composer/autoload_real.php:23

Hello Brian,

Googling the Web with "PHP crashed on opline" might give you the solution..

Vytux is right. It seems to be caused by Eaccelerator.. Some suggests to update PHP version (bug in 5.3 version?).. some suggests to use FastCGI instead..

Did you contact your hosting support about that?

EDIT : see that thread -> www.webtrees.net/index.php/en/forum/help...after-updating#47813
(Greg disabled Eaccelerator)
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Jackie.

• brian
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #6 by brian
I disabled Eaccelerator but I'm still get server 500 errors.

This is from server log now. Which no longer mentions Eaccelerator.

[Fri Jul 25 16:30:57 2014] [error] [client My Ip] File does not exist: /home/[my domain]/public_html/webtrees/500.shtml, referer: http://webtrees.[my domain]/.com/admin_media.php

I'll fix up all my broken media links and see what happens after that.
I had to edit my gedcom file in a text editor to strip the absolute file path from media. I've uploaded some images to relative directories in the media folder and they seem to work. I just need to fix them all and hopefully the 500 errors stop.

I'll report back when done.
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by brian.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 8 months ago #7 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Server 500 Errors from non existant media links
This error message simply means that you have

(a) configured your webserver to display custom pages when errors occur.
(b) not provided a custom error page.

It tells us nothing about the original error.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #8 by bertkoor

brian wrote: I had to edit my gedcom file in a text editor to strip the absolute file path from media.

No, you did not have to do that with a text editor, webtrees could have done (or can do) that for you.

I thought one could specify the media path on the import dialog, but it's specified somewhere else. First go to the Admin panel. In the left menu "Family Trees" select your tree, then select the tab "Media". The second item "GEDCOM media path" is the absolute path to media items that will be stripped off on import/upload and put back on export/download.

If in the GEDCOM file you have this:
Code:
0 @M123@ OBJE 1 FILE c:\users\[you]\Pictures\MyFamilyTreePictures\example.jpg
then set the GEDCOM Media Path to c:\users\[you]\Pictures\MyFamilyTreePictures.
Should be as simple as that....

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by bertkoor.

• brian
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 8 months ago #9 by brian

fisharebest wrote: It tells us nothing about the original error.

I appreciate the server log error is pretty unhelpful. I just wanted to provide an update to show disabling Eaccelerator doesn't stop the Server 500 errors.

• brian
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #10 by brian
bertkoor, I'll check this out when I get my media uploaded. Unfortunately everytime I go to the Media page I crash the server with a 500 error and I have to wait until it recovers.
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by brian.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 8 months ago #11 by fisharebest
Have you configured PHP to show errors? ("display_errors = On" in your php.ini)

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• brian
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 8 months ago #12 by brian
I turned on display errors in cpanel config for php.ini.
I've uploaded enough images so first page of media shows correctly, but if I try and go to subsequent page it just hangs with "loading..." over the Showing 1 to 10 of 45. If I then try and refresh the page after a minute I get the 500 Internal server Error page.

Then went back into cpanel a switched up my php version to 5.6 from 5.3 and it's working without crashing.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 8 months ago #13 by fisharebest

it just hangs with "loading..."

The error is most likely present on the page - just hidden via CSS.

switched up my php version to 5.6 from 5.3

PHP5.6 hasn't been officially released yet. You are probably using a "release candidate" version.

PHP5.6 introduces a few incompatibilities with earlier versions of PHP (and hence with webtrees!).

As far as I can tell, all these have been found/fixed in the latest development code, and so the next release of webtrees will work with all versions of PHP from 5.3 to 5.6

• brian
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 8 months ago #14 by brian

fisharebest wrote: The error is most likely present on the page - just hidden via CSS.

Viewing html source I can't see anything. I think the webserver hangs hence the 500 Error.

fisharebest wrote: PHP5.6 hasn't been officially released yet. You are probably using a "release candidate" version.
PHP5.6 introduces a few incompatibilities with earlier versions of PHP (and hence with webtrees!).
As far as I can tell, all these have been found/fixed in the latest development code, and so the next release of webtrees will work with all versions of PHP from 5.3 to 5.6

I switched down to 5.5 and it works but the error returns on either 5.4 or 5.3. When I finally get all my broken media resolved I'll try again to get a definitive link between non existent media and php versions.