Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.5.x). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.

Question Problems adding Media to Individual

• opel70
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 7 months ago #1 by opel70
Problems adding Media to Individual was created by opel70
Hello,

I've been using webtrees for a while, coming over from phpgedview. I am now looking into adding some pictures to a few records.I have tried several methods, but nothing seems to be working. I can go to the Administration / Media page and upload the jpg file (1024x768, ~300KB). When I do this I can see the file listed in the "Unused files" category and I can see the file out on the server drive (though no file is created in the "thumbs" directory.) I can then "create" a link to an individual. However, when I browse to the "Local files" category, I only see "Loading...", and it never finishes loading (screen shot added). And if I try to go to the individual that I linked, I just get a blank page, with just the normal button bar at the top (I would add a screen shot, but it really is just a white page, though the page title shows the name of the individual I am trying to view).

I have verified that the file permissions to the "media" and "thumbs" folders are 777. And I can see the file out there. And as I mentioned, if I don't link the file to an individual, I can see the image just fine in the "Unused files" section.

Where do I need to look to see what is going wrong?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
9 years 7 months ago #2 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic Problems adding Media to Individual
First, the best way to add media is the direct method. Navigate to the INDI or FAM record you wish to augment with an image, find or create the event to which the image pertains (unless a INDI photo as a profile) and use the ADD MEDIA link. If a profile, click on ALBUM tab and use the ADD A NEW MEDIA OBJECT link in the header.

Second, 300kb is still a good size image. Did you see if, when you created the OBJE by linking the previously unused image to something, whether it created a thumbnail. It is possible that you are bordering on the edge of running out of RAM. The thumbnail process takes a lot of RAM and a 300kb file could be 1.2mb uncompressed or larger. How much memory do you have assigned to webtrees and php?

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #3 by Jackie
Replied by Jackie on topic Problems adding Media to Individual
Hi Tim,

Off topic,

Visiting your website, a wrong date most likely due to a typing mistake.. Was Sarah Ann Flora 3 years old when she got married?

www.musaland.com/webtrees/individual.php?pid=I203&ged=musa.ged
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Jackie.

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #4 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Problems adding Media to Individual

no file is created in the "thumbs" directory.)

This is normal The thumbnail is not created until it is needed

I would add a screen shot, but it really is just a white page, though the page title shows the name of the individual I am trying to view

The page almost certainly contains hidden information (including helpful error messages). View the page source in your browser to see it - and/or check your browser's error console.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by fisharebest.

• opel70
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 7 months ago #5 by opel70
Replied by opel70 on topic Problems adding Media to Individual
When I view the page source, there isn't any additional error or other information in that black white space. The person in question can be found at: www.musaland.com/webtrees/individual.php?pid=I110&ged=musa.ged

I did try to add the media while in the INDI record, but got the same results.

The server has 4GB of RAM. No thumbnail has ever been created in the "thumbs" directory. Even when I view the media object in the "Unused files" section in "Administration / Media". I haven't specifically assigned RAM to webtrees. I know that I have modified the php.conf file, but where should I be looking to verify the amount of memory assigned to php?

Thanks for all of the assistance with this question.

Tim

More
9 years 7 months ago #6 by fisharebest
OK - from the page source, I can see that the script failed at the point it was trying to generate a thumbnail image for this individual.

1) Are there any error messages in the webtrees error log? (Admin - logs)

2) You can check your PHP memory limit from the Admin -> PHP information page.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• ToyGuy
More
9 years 7 months ago #7 by ToyGuy
Likely either the permissions for your media folder (if there is a thumbnail folder, it also needs 777) are not good, or you lack sufficient memory as previously discussed. As Greg suggested, look at the PHP-INFO data, including the MASTER & LOCAL columns for what memory has been allocated to PHP via your php.ini and what memory you have alloted to webtrees. If the php.ini memory exceeds the local, then go to configuration under admin and raise the memory alloted to webtrees. The more usually the better.

• opel70
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 7 months ago #8 by opel70
So, here's what I have tried / checked
1) I bumped up the PHP memory to 256M in the local config
2) I resized the image to 320x240, with a file size of 35K
3) I am outputting PHP errors to a log file. Once I fixed a separate config issue (pointing to a non-existent PHP extension) there are no errors in the PHP log file
4) I renamed the image to test.jpg, just in case the spaces were causing issues.
5) I checked the Apache error log files, nothing shows up in there.
6) The Apache access log files just show normal web requests.
7) I verified permissions on media and thumbs are both set to 777

IT seems that I am missing something that is used to create the thumbnails. Which PHP extension / tool is needed for this?

As I mentioned, when I view "Unused" media, everything displays fine in the "Administration / Media" page. The images only stop displaying when I create the link to an INDI or FAM record. I am guessing that this is when the thumbnail is created.

• ToyGuy
More
9 years 7 months ago #9 by ToyGuy

I bumped up the PHP memory to 256M in the local config

You can't raise the locally assigned to webtrees memory above the master PHP memory. What is the memory to php?

• opel70
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #10 by opel70
Sorry, forgot to mention that the php.ini was already set to a maximum of 256M, so I set the local max setting to equal the php.ini max setting. I'll also mention that I re-downloaded the webtrees 1.5.3 zip file and extracted it onto my server in the correct folder.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by opel70.

More
9 years 7 months ago #11 by fisharebest

Which PHP extension / tool is needed for this?

gd

The install wizard checks this, and would have displayed a warning/error when you first installed webtrees.

I am outputting PHP errors to a log file

Obvious question, but do you have "display_errors" set to "off" in your PHP config?

• opel70
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #12 by opel70
Well, I don't have "display_errors = on", but I do have "log_errors = on" configured. So any errors should be outputted to the php_error.log file. And I did have one config error that was in the log, related to an uncommented extension that I do not have installed.

I don't know why it wasn't flagged during the install, but I didn't have gd installed. I installed it and now all is well. The thumbnails were created properly and everything is looking correct. I've rebuilt the server at least once since my initial phpgedview install, so maybe I didn't actually go through the install process after this most recent server rebuild. I had looked at the various "Requirements" and "FAQ" pages in the wiki looking for what PHP modules are required, but never could find a list. Just glad to have it figured out now.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by opel70.

More
9 years 7 months ago #13 by fisharebest
The installer *does* check for the GD extension, and gives a warning if it is not installed.

It also checks for a few other extensions, such as XML for the reports, and CALENDAR for the jewish date conversions.

Are you sure it wasn't displayed? Are you able to uninstall this extension and run the installer again?

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
9 years 7 months ago #14 by bertkoor
Replied by bertkoor on topic Problems adding Media to Individual
Greg, as I read it the whole installed webtrees site of Opel70 was moved to another server (or the server config itself had been changed) so these pre-install checks weren't done. That's only executed during a fresh install, not when an installation is moved or the server config has changed.

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13