Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.5.x). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.

Question selecting places / autofill / autocomplete

• reindling
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago #1 by reindling
Hi there!
So i chose webtrees, like it, nearly everything is fine so far. Now setting it up for my mother to enter data, so i put in some testdata and the locations.

1: Problem now...I think i understand the hierarchy in the GM Module and set up from the top level: Austria > Vienna > somestreet
Location check is ok.
When in try to enter a location selecting the predefined, i.e. for birthday, in a video i have seen the autofill come up with a list of places on entering letters. It doesn't here.
So i tried the little icon "find place", hit "show all" and it shows me no places to select at all.

What am i missing?

2: At the "My webtrees"-page, every "Module", the "standard blocks" are shown three times. I deleted them twice now, they keep coming back. Strange.

Thanx so much for some hints
chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic selecting places / autofill / autocomplete
1) The autocomplete works from existing places in your family tree. It does not work from the data in the google map module.

2) This happens sometimes. I can't work out why. Just delete them.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
9 years 6 months ago #3 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic selecting places / autofill / autocomplete

At the "My webtrees"-page, every "Module", the "standard blocks" are shown three times. I deleted them twice now, they keep coming back. Strange.

Greg has given you his official, programmer's answer, but we have noticed that it happens more often on locked down sites. It would seem that the system gets confused on how to access certain modules and recreates the default each time.

Of course, locking down your site really doesn't make a whole lot of sense when genealogy is such a public, family experience, greatly improved by contributions from people you may be unlikely to guess may be cousins and branches you have yet to discover - and probably won't unless you share. JMHO, based on many, many years of collaborative web genealogy and of course you are welcome to admin and run your site in any fashion you wish.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

• reindling
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago #4 by reindling
Replied by reindling on topic selecting places / autofill / autocomplete

fisharebest wrote: 1) The autocomplete works from existing places in your family tree. It does not work from the data in the google map module.

Oh, i thought it works also in the direction from GM to Database.

And now i see a similar problem with adding a picture i added with upload function. Doesn't appear. Even if i use the searchbox with its name.
THX, seems theres much to learn for me

• reindling
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago #5 by reindling
Replied by reindling on topic selecting places / autofill / autocomplete

ToyGuy wrote: Greg has given you his official, programmer's answer, but we have noticed that it happens more often on locked down sites.

I set visitors need login = yes. Is that what you mean?
As soon as there is a good basis of data in it, i am looking forward to share the site to our relatives. But now its all chaos in progress.
THX

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
9 years 6 months ago #6 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic selecting places / autofill / autocomplete
You don't have to lock down the site to keep the data private. Just use the privacy settings for the family tree in question and set SHOW DEAD PEOPLE to MEMBERS, instead of visitors. Then, no one will see anything except the name of the tree and you are likely to no longer have the problem with doubling of blocks.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28