Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.6.x). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.

Question Automatic Updte to webtrees 1.6.1 Fails

• tronayne
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 4 months ago #1 by tronayne
Automatic Updte to webtrees 1.6.1 Fails was created by tronayne
Hi,

The automatic update fails at
Code:
Download https://launchpad.net/webtrees/1.6/1.6.1/+download/webtrees-1.6.1.zip… 32,319 KB were downloaded in 27.75 seconds. Unzip webtrees-1.6.1.zip to a temporary folder… An error occurred when unzipping the file. path_creation_fail /var/www/htdocs/webtrees/data/webtrees-1.6.1/js/
The data directory mask is 777 (can't get much better than that, eh?) and there is no js directory in the unzipped file.

Might there be a missing argument to unzip (that I can do something about)?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Automatic Updte to webtrees 1.6.1 Fails
This bug is reported at bugs.launchpad.net/webtrees/+bug/1391195

I've not had the opportunity to look at this yet.

The version in 1.5.3 (2014-05-02) worked, as everyone used it to upgrade to 1.6.0 (including me).
The version in 1.6.0 (2014-10-12) failed for many people (including me).

There were only a few minor changes to the upgrade script in that date range - github.com/fisharebest/webtrees/commits/...min_site_upgrade.php - but none that look like they could cause a problem.

The PCLZIP library hasn't changed (for years).

Of course, it might be a problem with the .ZIP file. Perhaps files are in a different order or something?

But if you can discover anything before I do, please add it to the bug report!

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• tronayne
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 4 months ago #3 by tronayne
Replied by tronayne on topic Automatic Updte to webtrees 1.6.1 Fails
Looking at the ZIP archive (unzip -l webtrees-1.6.1.zip):
Code:
Archive: webtrees-1.6.1.zip Length Date Time Name --------- ---------- ----- ---- 0 11-09-2014 12:51 webtrees/ 12291 11-09-2014 12:51 webtrees/admin_site_access.php 0 11-09-2014 12:54 webtrees/js/ 5667 11-09-2014 13:05 webtrees/js/jquery.jeditable-1.7.3.js 21024 11-09-2014 13:05 webtrees/js/webtrees-1.6.0.js 11139 11-09-2014 13:05 webtrees/js/modernizr.custom-2.6.2.js 546 11-09-2014 13:05 webtrees/js/autocomplete.js 1280 11-09-2014 13:05 webtrees/js/jquery.cookie-1.4.1.js 96777 11-09-2014 13:05 webtrees/js/jquery-1.11.1.js 12278 11-09-2014 13:05 webtrees/js/jquery.colorbox-1.5.9.js 1413 11-09-2014 13:05 webtrees/js/jquery.wheelzoom-2.0.0.js 227476 11-09-2014 13:05 webtrees/js/jquery-ui-1.10.4.js 79457 11-09-2014 13:05 webtrees/js/jquery.datatables-1.10.3.js 2513 11-09-2014 12:51 webtrees/branches.php 104380 11-09-2014 12:51 webtrees/edit_interface.php 1399 11-09-2014 12:51 webtrees/notelist.php 9256 11-09-2014 12:51 webtrees/admin_site_config.php
Looks OK to me, so I unzipped it in /tmp, that looks OK too (looks like everything's there).

There is zero content in /var/www/htdocs/webtrees/data/webtrees-1.6.1, though (so, yeah, it failed immediately if it's supposed to extract into webtrees-1.6.1); it does extract into /var/www/htdocs/webtrees/data/webtrees. Is there some directory copy or rename that's supposed to go on? I dunno.

Seem like I could just get to /var/www/htcos and unzip right there (which should overwrite all the stuff in the existing webtrees directory) but I don't want to screw everything up by doing that.

So, anyway...

More
9 years 4 months ago #4 by fisharebest

Is there some directory copy or rename that's supposed to go on? I dunno.

No - it just unzips it twice. Once into a temp folder, and then again into the live folder.

The first unzip is a check to make sure the .ZIP is not corrupt, etc.

If the second unzip fails (usually due to permissions), the temp-folder is left in place. This is because many people have a slow upload speed on their internet connection. They can often just move the files to the live folder using FTP - which is very much faster.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• rzeitz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 4 months ago #5 by rzeitz
Replied by rzeitz on topic Automatic Updte to webtrees 1.6.1 Fails
Good morning forum, greetings from Germany;

I have the same problem; it is may first try with the automatic update; perhaps the path indicated below helps to patch the problem. Thanks, Reinhard

path_creation_fail

/mnt/web7/b1/06/52368406/htdocs/webtrees_2012/data/webtrees-1.6.1/js/

More
9 years 4 months ago #6 by fisharebest
This problem is currently being investigated. See bugs.launchpad.net/webtrees/+bug/1391195

• vdrumsRoland
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 4 months ago #7 by vdrumsRoland
Replied by vdrumsRoland on topic Automatic Updte to webtrees 1.6.1 Fails
Is there a solution yet? It appears that the problem was found.

More
9 years 4 months ago #8 by fisharebest

• vdrumsRoland
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 4 months ago #9 by vdrumsRoland
Replied by vdrumsRoland on topic Automatic Updte to webtrees 1.6.1 Fails
That worked! Thank you so much!!

• tronayne
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 4 months ago #10 by tronayne
Replied by tronayne on topic Automatic Updte to webtrees 1.6.1 Fails
With the update of the library function the automatic update completes (to the point that I need to copy all the updates into the webtrees root directory. Did that, it works.

Thanks.

I can't seem to find anything that marks the thread "solved." Can you just do it or point me at where to mark it?

More
9 years 4 months ago #11 by Jackie
Replied by Jackie on topic Automatic Updte to webtrees 1.6.1 Fails

tronayne wrote:
I can't seem to find anything that marks the thread "solved." Can you just do it or point me at where to mark it?

Hello tronayne,

We don't have this facility on the forum. Don't worry.

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #12 by joeysun
Replied by joeysun on topic Automatic Updte to webtrees 1.6.1 Fails
Yes, that worked for me also.

As a complete noob, I navigated to the site based on these instructions:

fisharebest wrote: I have finally found the cause of this problem... A change was made to the .ZIP library a very long time ago, which stops it from working with the latest webtrees code.

If you replace the file library/pclzip.lib.php with the latest version ( github.com/fisharebest/webtrees/blob/mas...brary/pclzip.lib.php and click "raw"), then the upgrade wizard should work.

Note that the bug exists in 1.6.0 *and* 1.6.1. Therefore unless you update this one file, the uprade wizard will not start working until the following release (1.6.2?)......

I clicked on the RAW button as per the below screen shot

After the resulting screen from the RAW button, I right click (Windows 8.1) and [Save As] onto my drive. The raw file was named "pclzip.lib.php.txt" on my system.

I renamed the file getting rid of the .txt extension and uploaded to the my server's /library/ folder, overwriting the older 'pclzip.lib.php".

Sorry to be so basic, but doing things like this causes me angst.

Nice job Greg!

Doug
webtrees v2.1.19 at Our Family Tree (Jiapu 家譜/家谱)
PHP Version v8.1.x, LiteSpeed V8.1, MariaDB 15.1 | protected/'hindered' by ModSecurity
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by joeysun. Reason: clarity