Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.6.x). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.

Question change default chart?

• jpoole317
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 3 weeks ago #1 by jpoole317
change default chart? was created by jpoole317
How can I change the "Default Chart"? Or can it be eliminated entirely- button made to not show on pages?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic change default chart?
I'm not sure what you mean by "Default chart".

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• jpoole317
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 3 weeks ago #3 by jpoole317
Replied by jpoole317 on topic change default chart?
see the attached screen capture.
Attachments:

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #4 by fisharebest
If you mean change the "root" person for the chart, then yes. You set the default individual in the family tree settings.

If you mean change to a different type of chart, then no. That block does not have any configuration options.

But if you have some basic knowledge of HTML, what you can do is create an "HTML block"
in its place (use the "change blocks" link at the bottom of the page), and insert whatever links you
choose.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• jpoole317
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 3 weeks ago #5 by jpoole317
So I think you mean that neither this button or the "default chart" can be changed or eliminated?

webtrees seems to assume that the default person will be the "youngest" and show ancestors, whereas we wish to organize with the "oldest" person as default, and show descendants. So now when a visitor clicks "default chart", they get a meaningless chart, with only the default person and empty blocks. Not a error, but the sort of thing I'd like to either change, or get rid of entirely, to improve the quality of the site. But it seems WebTress is not that flexible.

Thank you for your help.

• jpoole317
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 3 weeks ago #6 by jpoole317
I just went to your site and looked around, and your page does not have any of this stuff. It looks much as I would like ours to look, just different colors and pictures. How do you eliminate all that webtrees clutter? All I can mange by configuring it is to move stuff around, but nothing can be eliminated. Does it require PHP? I understand html and css, but don't know PHP, so if that is required I'm out of luck.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #7 by fisharebest

webtrees seems to assume that the default person will be the "youngest" and show ancestors,

It makes no such assumption. YOU get to choose the default person.
It is one of the settings in the family tree settings page.

But if you don't specify a default, then webtrees simply uses the first individual found in your tree.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #8 by fisharebest

I just went to your site and looked around, and your page does not have any of this stuff.

The home page is a series of blocks. YOU choose the blocks. (There's a link at the bottom of the page).

On my site, I removed all the default blocks, and added a single HTML block, which contains my home page.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #9 by fisharebest

All I can mange by configuring it is to move stuff around, but nothing can be eliminated.

If by "stuff" you mean blocks, then you are probably clicking on the wrong arrows.

There are two columns of blocks, shown left and right.[1]
In the middle is a list of available blocks.

Use the arrows to move the active blocks back to the central "available blocks" list.
Or, select a block from the central list, and add it to either side.

Maybe you clicked the "double arrow", which moves a block from one side to the other....

[1] but if one column is empty, the other column will expand to fill the page - as in my site.

• jpoole317
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 3 weeks ago #10 by jpoole317
I understand that, and know how to set the default PERSON. But webtrees does not use that choice to select a meaningful default CHART... and that is my issue.

BUT see below.... thanks to your explanation, I no longer care what webtrees does in this regard.

Thank you.

• jpoole317
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 3 weeks ago #11 by jpoole317
Thank you for this explanation. It solves my problem. I can do my own html block.