Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.6.x). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.

Question Reports not showing Agency Information

• Wilson
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #1 by Wilson
Hi Everyone,
A user of mine is complaining that the reports don't accurately display some of the information in his entry. I have confirmed this by looking at his Individual report.

It seems to me that the "AGNC" tag <RESPONSIBLE_AGENCY> in the following 2 examples isn't used for the report, surely it should be?

Raw Gedcom EDUCATION
1 EDUC Primary School
2 AGNC Westvale School
2 DATE 1950
2 PLAC Epping, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Individual Report Shows
Education 1950 ¦ Primary School Epping, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Ideal Report would show
Education 1950 ¦ Primary School; Westvale School; Epping, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Raw Gedcom OCCUPATION
1 OCCU Clerk
2 DATE 1969
2 AGNC RLI Ltd.
2 PLAC Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
2 NOTE RLI is the major container company in Sydney
Individual Report Shows
Occupation 1969 ¦ Clerk Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Ideal Report would show
Occupation 1969 ¦ Clerk; RLI Ltd.; Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

The Note for this entry, also isn't being displayed in the report, it would also be nice if that was also in the report, perhaps as a footnote like the sources?

I had a look at the code in reportengine.php & modules_v3/individual_report/module.php & modules_v3/individual_report/report.xml but I am pretty new to PHP and couldn't follow where the information is even read. (Is is part of public function getDescription() in Module.php, not really sure)

Anyway, Can anyone advise me, please?
Am I doing something wrong here or is there another way of doing a report that does display the information more fully?
Perhaps someone more knowledgable than me knows of a Add-on report module that will do the above, or can point me in the correct direction to make a custom one myself?

Thanks everyone,

Glen

webtrees 2.0.3 - wilson-mciver.com - PHP 7.3.16

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #2 by choyk
Replied by choyk on topic Reports not showing Agency Information
Caveat: I am not a webtree dev. But I have managed to write my own customised report. /Caveat.

My understanding from previous forum posts is that the ReportEngine functionality is end-of-life. There are so many limitations to the report form (links don't work from paper, it's immediately out of date, real trees had to die, ...) that its demise seems imminent. Hence there is no "current" interest or support in it.

The report.xml file is an artifact that describes the report layout to the reportengine.php program. I have never tried to look inside reportengine.php but I suspect it would induce migraines. My understanding of how this works is purely from looking at the different report.xml files to see what they produce and reading wiki.phpgedview.net/en/index.php/Develop...XML_Report_Templates , dropping the "PGVR" prefix from the tag descriptions.

If you did want to extend the report in the manner you have suggested, make a copy of the individual_report folder, modify the module.php file so that your new report is distinct from the existing one, enable the module from the admin page, then start fiddling with the report.xml file. In particular, you'd need to add some more tags inside the second <TextBox> tag inside the <Facts> tag.

Tip: After each change to a report.xml, press the "Reports" button on the main webtrees navigator to reload the cache.

And if this all seems too hard, it probably is. ;-)
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by choyk.

• Wilson
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago #3 by Wilson
Replied by Wilson on topic Reports not showing Agency Information
Many thanks for your Reply, I was beginning to think I wouldn't get any sort of answer.

I don't like doing paper reports for the reasons you state but some of my site users seem to love reports.
I can see that in a few cases, like a family reunion, a well laid out report would be very valuable, but little point normally.

Thanks for the link to Phpgedview, I hadn't thought to look there for the report format information. Your other pointers will be useful should I feel I have to proceed on my own.
I had gathered from some of my searches that the report format was considered to be obsolete and was waiting for the next release to see if it was updated at all before trying my own.

Thanks again, very helpful

webtrees 2.0.3 - wilson-mciver.com - PHP 7.3.16