Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.6.x). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.

Question Distorted thumbnails

More
8 years 10 months ago #1 by PaulR
Distorted thumbnails was created by PaulR
I just added an image and the generated thumbnail on the families tab is distorted (if I right-click and view image the proportions are correct). The thumbnails on the media and album tabs are fine. Using Firefox, latest version, if that's relevant.

I noticed a 2013 bug report that mentions this issue but that was closed as of version 1.4.something.

Thank you,

Paul
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #2 by Jackie
Replied by Jackie on topic Distorted thumbnails
Hi Paul,

A document should be added to an event. A picture of the person is the one that should be shown on the left side of the name.

EDIT: unticked the "Highlighted image"

Use this field to signal that this media item is the highlighted or primary item for the individual it is attached to. The highlighted image is the one that will be used on charts and on the individual’s page.

Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Jackie.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #3 by PaulR
Replied by PaulR on topic Distorted thumbnails
Thanks Jackie.

I have a very large number of document images, almost all of which are associated with individuals rather than events or sources and moving them isn't a practical possibility. I'm not sure I'd want to do that anyway as some relate to various events and family members.

I'll just de-highlight each problem one as I see it.

Paul

EDIT: That may be as painful as attaching them to events - I just checked one problem case and he has nine document images, several of which are 'odd shapes'.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by PaulR.

More
8 years 10 months ago #4 by Jackie
Hi Paul,

That may be as painful as attaching them to events - I just checked one problem case and he has nine document images, several of which are 'odd shapes'.

Humm... the cause may be different then...

What is the URL of your website?

More
8 years 10 months ago #5 by Jackie
Paul, perhaps thumbnails need to be regenerated ? Were they created by webtrees or you did?

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 10 months ago #6 by norwegian_sardines
Replied by norwegian_sardines on topic Distorted thumbnails
Personally I think documents are SOURses, and all media should be associated with either the source or the citation associated with the source.

Ken

More
8 years 10 months ago #7 by PaulR
Hi Jackie

Sorry, I don't mean that they are distorted at present, just that I'd have to select one from the nine that 'looks right' as a thumbnail - they are odd shapes as in the originals are snippets from pages etc rather than nice 4:3 proportioned images.

(My site is locally hosted I'm afraid).

In essence I was just surprised that the thumbnails aren't kept in proportion when scaled down to 100 pixels wide (or whatever) as they are on the media tab.

Paul

More
8 years 10 months ago #8 by PaulR

norwegian_sardines wrote: Personally I think documents are SOURses, and all media should be associated with either the source or the citation associated with the source.

I think you're right, but it's a bit late in the day for me to change things now :(

Paul

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #9 by PaulR
I haven't generated any thumbs manually. Here's a screen grab from a typical individual's family tab. It contains a couple of A4 images and some census images but the bottom image is a snipped from a burial register, the original image being 1,206 × 53 pixels so horribly distorted when resized without considering proportion.

I have similar images assigned to some individuals who do not have any other media attached, hence the problem.

Paul
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by PaulR. Reason: Forgot attachment

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #10 by Jackie

norwegian_sardines wrote: Personally I think documents are SOURses, and all media should be associated with either the source or the citation associated with the source.

Yes Ken, that is what I meant.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Jackie.

More
8 years 10 months ago #11 by Jackie
Paul, as Ken said, each document being a SOURce, that source could be linked to many individuals and different events.

The "highlight" image should be a picture of the person.