Question ancestry.ca images

• macalter
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
9 years 8 months ago #1 by macalter
ancestry.ca images was created by macalter
Had great success using free access to ancestry.ca over the long weekend. What I'm not sure about is the images I captured are very large both in size and MBs. I'm obviously trimming down to upload birth, death, marriages. Many that I've scaled are down to page size and can be read if you squint. I'm adding Notes for transcription of the text, as best as I can read the text.

1911/1921 Census images I'm not uploading as they're extremely large. The recap ancestry.ca does is sufficient in that it gives vital information of the person and their family members.

In both cases, wondering if I should keep the original size images offline or somewhere else accessible outside the site to be viewable if desired or for "second opinion" of what I transcribed (writing is atrocious in most cases and so many spelling mistakes).

---
macalter
webtrees 2.1.18
Mac.alter [update: 24 Jan 2024]
webtrees 2.1.18 | PHP Version 8.1.17 | mySQL 8.1 | MacOS 10.15.17

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
9 years 8 months ago #2 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic ancestry.ca images
UP to you. The images are not likely to disappear from the web since they are on many, many sites. However, if you have an archival location, put them there for easy retrieval.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

More
9 years 8 months ago #3 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic ancestry.ca images

The images are not likely to disappear from the web

...for as long as you keep paying your fees to Ancestry ;-)

Internet speeds and computer performance go up every year. Today's "extremely large" files will be next year's "large" files, and "average" files the year after.

I keep the full-sized images in webtrees. Anyone who clicks on the census thumbnail to see the full sized image is likely to want the full details (to check handwriting etc.), not a down-sampled version.

Offline or online is up to you. But I would keep them anyway. If the filenames are the same, you can easily drop them into webtrees at a later date.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• ToyGuy
More
9 years 8 months ago #4 by ToyGuy

fisharebest wrote:

The images are not likely to disappear from the web

...for as long as you keep paying your fees to Ancestry ;-)

Sorry Greg, but these images are available from perhaps a dozen websites, not just Ancestry, where she accessed these on a free weekend. Hardly necessary to pay Ancestry.com or Ancestry.ca for viewing these images, but it certainly can be a convenient resource.

And I have almost 1/2 of my users still on dial-up access, not broadband. To impose huge bandwidth demands onto their use (and the phone and tablet plans if on 3 or 4G) just seems like being inconsiderate. Maybe this isn't true in such advanced countries as England, where perhaps everyone has uberfast broadband access and unlimited data cell plans, but that is not the case in the USA yet. Yes, I know we're behind. Always have been.

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #5 by Jackie
Replied by Jackie on topic ancestry.ca images
Hi,

Stephen is right and also Canadian Census are available for free from National Archives website. www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/Pages/census.aspx

Also, some are indexed at the site automatedgenealogy.com/
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Jackie.

• macalter
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
9 years 8 months ago #6 by macalter
Replied by macalter on topic ancestry.ca images

Jackie wrote: Hi,

Stephen is right and also Canadian Census are available for free from National Archives website. www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/Pages/census.aspx

I forgot about the automatedgenealogy site until I accessed a record that already had the census image - my source had the link. However, ancestry has birth, death and marriage too.

Fortunately, our library system pays for access to ancestry.ca however one must be at a library to use it. Also, the Ontario Archives are always available which is where the source of info comes from. It's the convenience of capturing the info at home that's wonderful so I look forward to the yearly freebie.

As Stephen mentions, some folks may have limited access available. I'm on a plan that is capped each month so try to be aware of my uploads. Our plans are more expensive than US. (There are unlimited plans available at competitive pricing, true, but mine is bundles with TV and so can't separate).

Appreciate the comments!

That said, will keep full size images as sometimes reading it again may bring out clues I'm missing now. Or, not in a position to use yet.

---
macalter
webtrees 2.1.18

More
9 years 8 months ago #7 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic ancestry.ca images
I guess you know your audience....

In my part of the world, census images are available by subscription only, and a typical home internet connection is 10-20mb/s with no data cap.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• macalter
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
9 years 8 months ago #8 by macalter

Jackie wrote: Hi,

CORRECTION: Canadian census up to 1911 is online; 1921 is via subscription to ancestry.ca where Library and Archives Canada decided to use. Emailed a complaint to them for the record. The next release, 1931 will be in 2023.

---
macalter
webtrees 2.1.18

• ToyGuy
More
9 years 8 months ago #9 by ToyGuy
@macalter
Many libraries not only offer in-library access, but to members/cardholders they offer out-of-building access to some resources. You should do some checking, however, you still have free access from within.

• macalter
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
9 years 8 months ago #10 by macalter

ToyGuy wrote: @macalter
Many libraries not only offer in-library access, but to members/cardholders they offer out-of-building access to some resources. You should do some checking, however, you still have free access from within.

With ancestry.com/ca, the library buys subscriptions so ours only can offer access onsite, which I do take advantage of. A lot more cumbersome as everything needs to be saved to memory stick then transferred and time limits are only one hour per day (unless there is no one waiting but that's not often). Agreeably, library access is wonderful option for those who get it.

(But the yearly bonus of access from home is even better! Didn't hear of comparable access offer for the US July 4 weekend. (Not that I could use).

---
macalter
webtrees 2.1.18

• ToyGuy
More
9 years 8 months ago #11 by ToyGuy
Typically, Ancestry USA offers two free weekends, one in the spring and one in the fall. Additionally, due to a recent agreement: "members of the LDS Church will be granted free subscriptions to Ancestry.com (the world edition subscription), MyHeritage.com (plus subscription) and FindMyPast.com (plus subscription), accessible from any location. These sites have between three and four times the number of records FamilySearch has, so it's a substantial amount of both records and technology, Anderson said."

Not that I'm a Mormon, but wow - what a benefit.

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #12 by Jackie
Replied by Jackie on topic ancestry.ca images

macalter wrote: CORRECTION: Canadian census up to 1911 is online; 1921 is via subscription to ancestry.ca where Library and Archives Canada decided to use. Emailed a complaint to them for the record. The next release, 1931 will be in 2023.

Hello Mac,

Not to be arguing.. but Canadian Census 1921 and others are FREE on Ancestry.ca

search.ancestry.ca/search/category.aspx?cat=35
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Jackie.

• macalter
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
9 years 8 months ago #13 by macalter

Jackie wrote:

macalter wrote: CORRECTION: Canadian census up to 1911 is online; 1921 is via subscription to ancestry.ca where Library and Archives Canada decided to use. Emailed a complaint to them for the record. The next release, 1931 will be in 2023.

Hello Mac,

Not to be arguing.. but Canadian Census 1921 and others are FREE on Ancestry.ca

search.ancestry.ca/search/category.aspx?cat=35

THANKS Jackie!. I got an account via someone havig a family tree online so just tried. But if new user tries, they get asked to create account. Not sure if it's the 14 day free trial or not. However, now I'll DEFINITELY take advantage of using it. Still think the Library should have left it within their site.

---
macalter
webtrees 2.1.18

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #14 by toonjamie
Replied by toonjamie on topic ancestry.ca images

Additionally, due to a recent agreement: "members of the LDS Church will be granted free subscriptions to Ancestry.com (the world edition subscription), MyHeritage.com (plus subscription) and FindMyPast.com (plus subscription), accessible from any location. These sites have between three and four times the number of records FamilySearch has, so it's a substantial amount of both records and technology, Anderson said."

Hmm, might be worth becoming a Mormon for that. Not that I'm mercenary or anything!

Jamie
Moving away from unhelpful ISP!
eventually to ... Gene-Genie.net with JustBlack theme (modified)

webtrees 1.7.4
via MySql 10.0.20 & PHP 5.4.45 on Apache 2.4.16
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by toonjamie.

More
9 years 6 months ago #15 by Chap
Replied by Chap on topic ancestry.ca images
Also keep in mind, as far as Ancestry.com (US) goes, many colleges have free student accounts available, with some limitations, through the campus library.

Harlan County Jones' @ www.jonesipedia.com
Williamsburg Theme Project