Web based family history software

Question Import a Portion of a tree into existing tree

More
9 years 7 months ago #21 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Merging family trees - ERROR

Jackie wrote: Hi,

another issue.. it doubles a source which has the same title but not the same XREF: @S147@ and @S389@

The tree merge simply copies all records from one tree to another. It does not attempt to find/merge duplicate records from both trees. Finding duplicates is another task...

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #22 by fisharebest

I got this message when importing a "merged" GEDCOM file. It seems to be related to NOTE. I checked the ged file and it contained two notes with the same XREF @N3@

Does it mean that the new renumbering function does not treat notes?

Notes should work the same as any other record. I'll need to see if I can reproduce the problem...

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
9 years 7 months ago #23 by Jackie
Replied by Jackie on topic Merging family trees - ERROR

fisharebest wrote:
The clippings cart adds these sources, to refer to the webtrees site from which they came.

Hello Greg,

Thanks for your reply but why webtrees does that?
I have many ged files created using the clipping cart. I want to "merge" (which actually is more append than merge) them to a main tree. I don't want that(those) extra source(s). I guess I'll need to remove them in each ged files using NotePad.

More
9 years 7 months ago #24 by Jackie

fisharebest wrote:
Notes should work the same as any other record. I'll need to see if I can reproduce the problem...

Hi Greg,

I have the ged files which contain the guilty note(s) if ever you need them.

Talking about that @N3@, I have a problem with it, I can't edit or delete it using webtrees. I tried to find it in the MySQL tables without success. I'll need to export the GEDCOM today and find the problem using NotePad.

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
9 years 7 months ago #25 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic Merging family trees - ERROR

Jackie wrote:

fisharebest wrote: The clippings cart adds these sources, to refer to the webtrees site from which they came.

Thanks for your reply but why webtrees does that?
I have many ged files created using the clipping cart. I want to "merge" (which actually is more append than merge) them to a main tree. I don't want that(those) extra source(s). I guess I'll need to remove them in each ged files using NotePad.

Jackie, good sourcing practices suggest that the source of the data should be referenced. Most other programs, if they allow merging or importing, provide a similar function. I want to know what I have researched and what I have "copied" (or been provided) from someone else.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #26 by Jackie

ToyGuy wrote: Jackie, good sourcing practices suggest that the source of the data should be referenced. Most other programs, if they allow merging or importing, provide a similar function. I want to know what I have researched and what I have "copied" (or been provided) from someone else.

Hi Stephen,

Yes, I agree about good sourcing practices.
But webtrees merges family trees only if they are both created in its system. Therefore, the source references to a similar URL. And this "URL Source" is duplicated one, two, tree, and xx times. What's the point to add this same and always URL. Last night, I merged three different branches(family trees) to the same main family tree. Three sources were created titled http://localhost/webtrees/

I really don't see the utility of that.

So, the reference source will always be http:/.../webtrees whatever the original .ged file was from.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Jackie.

More
9 years 7 months ago #27 by fisharebest

But webtrees merges family trees only if they are both created in its system.

The only trees I have ever needed to merge were sent to me by cousins, and which were not created in webtrees.

Suppose you were merging clippings that came from different webtrees sites. Wouldn't you want a source that told you where the data had come from. You could simply rename the source from "WEBTREES" to "Extract from Cousin John's tree".

You are only having a problem because you are merging your own data from your own site. Isn't it simple enough just to delete the unwanted source?

More
9 years 7 months ago #28 by fisharebest

fisharebest wrote:

I got this message when importing a "merged" GEDCOM file. It seems to be related to NOTE. I checked the ged file and it contained two notes with the same XREF @N3@

Does it mean that the new renumbering function does not treat notes?

Can you send me this GEDCOM file? Thanks!

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #29 by Jackie

fisharebest wrote:
The only trees I have ever needed to merge were sent to me by cousins, and which were not created in webtrees.

Suppose you were merging clippings that came from different webtrees sites. Wouldn't you want a source that told you where the data had come from. You could simply rename the source from "WEBTREES" to "Extract from Cousin John's tree".

You are only having a problem because you are merging your own data from your own site. Isn't it simple enough just to delete the unwanted source?

Yes Greg, after my latest post, I realised that my problem was from using an extract from a family tree already installed in webtrees, and appending it to another family tree also installed in webtrees. Of course, I agree that a ged file from another system and person, would need an exact source information. Thanks.

-> will send you the guilty ged file in a minute...
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Jackie.

More
9 years 7 months ago #30 by fisharebest
Thanks. Problem fixed.

Note records weren't being renumbered, because there are two possible formats.

0 @N1@ NOTE
1 CONC line one
1 CONT line two

0 @N1@ NOTE line one
1 CONT line two

The code was only considering the first format.

More
9 years 7 months ago #31 by Jackie
Great! Thanks Greg.