Web based family history software

Question I have a particular problem with the "events"

• DerKrauter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 3 months ago #1 by DerKrauter
hello,

I have a particular problem with the "events" (such as "Name", "sex", "Work"). Only max. Accepted 50 tags. So half.

But I want to insert all the tags. The button below the drop down menu does not respond.

I can click on all the tags, but we rejected after saving after the 50th everything.

If this problem have already been dealt with, please send me a link to go there. I can not find it bad, my english is not so good.

Many thanks.

Regards Steffen

Hallo,

Ich habe insbesondere ein Problem mit den "Begebenheiten" (wie zum Beispiel "Name", "Geschlecht", "Beruf"). Es werden nur max. 50 Tags akzeptiert. Also die Hälfte.

Ich möchte aber alle Tags einfügen. Die Button unter dem Drop-Down-Menü reagieren nicht.

Ich kann alle Tags anklicken, aber nach dem Speichern, wir nach dem 50sten alles abgelehnt.

Sollte dieses Problem schon behandelt sein, bitte ich um einen Link dort hin. Ich kann es schlecht finden, mein englisch ist nicht so gut.

Vielen Dank.

Grüße Steffen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #2 by Jackie
Hello,

Some of the tags that you added (in your screenshot = ANUL, MARB) do not belong to an individual, but should be added to a family.

• bertkoor
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #3 by bertkoor
Replied by bertkoor on topic I have a particular problem with the "events"
Hi Steffen,

The line on the admin screen where you can add more events has a size limit of 255 characters.
That should be enough for all the tags that are relevant for each type of genealogical object.
Like Jackie already wrote, most tags apply only to Family, Individual, Source, Note, Media or Repository.
And some tags can only exist as a sub-tag of another one.
For instance hair/eye colour, length and weight are supposed to be part of the structure for "Physical Description".
Looks like you have messed up your tag list :-/

There is an official document of what tags can be used and what the correct structure is:
wiki.webtrees.net/w/images-en/Ged551-5.pdf

I'd suggest to start with only the proper tags you get by default, and be selective in what you add.
The easiest way I know of getting the list of default tags back, is create a new tree on your site, and copy those lines over.
After that the extra tree you created can be deleted.

Good luck!!

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by bertkoor.

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 3 months ago #4 by norwegian_sardines
Replied by norwegian_sardines on topic I have a particular problem with the "events"
In my opinion one of the biggest disservices software vendors do is not teach their users how to use the GEDCOM standard first before adding new "facts" to their databases.

As indicated in Bert's entry hair, eye and other physical descriptions of a individual need to be entered using the tag: DSCR. Which is defined as:

PHYSICAL_DESCRIPTION:= {Size=1:248} An unstructured list of the attributes that describe the physical characteristics of a person, place, or object. Commas separate each attribute.
Example:
1 DSCR Hair Brown, Eyes Brown, Height 5 ft 8 in
2 DATE 23 JUL 1935

Many vendors even add attributes for these descriptive items and they don't need to. I have always advocated learning how to use the proper tag before creating new ones. I have created new facts, but when I do I never create them using the "_" + tag naming standard I use a more correct FACT / TYPE or EVEN / TYPE standard.

If you have questions about using tags you can ask and I'm sure someone can help.

Ken

• DerKrauter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 3 months ago #5 by DerKrauter
Replied by DerKrauter on topic I have a particular problem with the "events"
Hello and thank you for the advice. I initially thought that I had made a mistake when it deleted the entries.

I am going to choose my top 50. The answers were a great help.

Regards Steffen

Hallo und vielen Dank für die Hinweise. Ich dachte anfangs, ich hätte einen Fehler gemacht, als es die Einträge löschte.

Ich werde mir nun die 50 Besten aussuchen. Die Antworten waren mir eine große Hilfe.

Grüße Steffen