Whether you are new to webtrees, or an "old hand", we recommend you read this page. It will help you get the best from the support available here, without wasting any of your time, or ours.
Here are some things you can do to help:
- It would be easier to help you if you told us the address of your site. But remember, we need the address of your webtrees site, not whatever other pages it is embedded in. Please don't make us hunt for it. Tip: you can put this in your forum signature.
- If you are having server problems, it helps if you tell us how your server is configured. Some people like to put that information in their forum signature as well.
- Check to see if your question has already been answered. You can search these forum pages from the "Search" tab, and there is a lot of information on the WIKI pages too.
- If you "think" you have found a bug, first check our bug list, then come back here and ask before reporting it. Perhaps we already know about it, or (heaven forbid) perhaps it is something you don't fully understand and not a bug at all!
- If English is not your first language, we recommend you write in your own language, but also add a translation into English (perhaps use Google Translate for that). If possible we will reply in your language, or we will also use Google.
- Forum posts should be on topic as much as possible. This helps you get help quicker.
- Do not use forum posts, signatures or avatar links for advertising, or solicitation.
- Do not overpost or add needless comments that do not add value to the forum.
- Don't forget to also read the "Forum Help" page. It has more tips on how to use this forum, and some important information about uploading files and pictures as attachments.
There are lots of other things you can do to help us to help you. The following link is a great resource, full of hints and tips on the best ways to ask questions on forums like ours. Its a long read but very well worth the effort: How To Ask Questions, by Eric S. Raymond, Rick Moen. But remember - it is just an article. DO NOT ask them your questions about webtrees!
Thanks for reading, and we look forward to supporting your use of webtrees.