This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.0). For issues related to beta or svn version please use their own Help forum.
When requesting help please provide as much information as possible. Explain what version of webtrees, PHP and MYSQL you are using. If possible provide a URL to your site so we can see the problem first-hand.
Tip: Think about putting these details in your signature, so it appears in the footer of ALL your messages
  • Page:

TOPIC:

eternally loading of modules 10 years 2 months ago #1

• Andreas
  • Andreas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hello,

I don't know what happened.
We were two users connected to webtrees and I tried to add a new gedcom previously uploaded to the /data folder
The import didn't start and I closed the FireFox.
When reopend the browser with rauhut.homeip.net/wt there were still three loading images. representing the blocks random media, upcoming events and gedcom statistics

Now, when writing this request the loadig.gifs dissappeared and the loading of the gedcom took place normally witout restarting it.
What could have caused this behaviour? A ghost in the system?
MAUPILLÉ & RAUHUT family using webtrees V2.0.11 & V1.7.17

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: eternally loading of modules 10 years 2 months ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I have just visited your website (nice tree diagram!), and all the blocks load OK.

Normally, the "still loading" problem means that the block has failed. The most common reason is a time limit. Some of these can be slow (which is why we load them "in the background"). If they run out of time, they do not display at all.

For example, random media is slow because it has to keep choosing images until it finds one that can be shown (due to privacy rules). If you have very few public images, it may have to fetch 100s or 1000s of images until it finds one that can be displayed.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Re: eternally loading of modules 10 years 2 months ago #3

• Jackie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi,

Did not have any problem either, it took seconds to display the page.

Re: eternally loading of modules 10 years 2 months ago #4

• Andreas
  • Andreas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Jackie,

Pour moi non plus, tout va bien. Le problem a disparu comme il est venu.
De même pour l'adresse éronnée. Je ne comprend pas ce que tu voulais me dire. Pour le moment l'adresse
www.maupilier-nos-trois-branches.com est bonne.

Merci quand même et bonne semaine

Nigel,

thanks, I think I must have a look on my server parameters. webtrees is installed on a small PC in my home. We don't have too much load/traffic on it. There are no privacy rules activated for instance. And the turning gifs stayed there for at least 1 hour.

But let's stop looking for reasons.
I think I've to learn much more about server parameters and how to optimize them.
MAUPILLÉ & RAUHUT family using webtrees V2.0.11 & V1.7.17

Re: eternally loading of modules 10 years 2 months ago #5

• Jackie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Andreas,

Yes, the link is ok now. It was when I clicked on the world globe icon.

Last edit: by Jackie.

Re: eternally loading of modules 10 years 2 months ago #6

• dxradio
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

We were two users connected to webtrees and I tried to add a new gedcom previously uploaded to the /data folder
The import didn't start and I closed the FireFox.

Now, when writing this request the loadig.gifs dissappeared and the loading of the gedcom took place normally witout restarting it.

Chances are that the import did start ... it doesn't give you much feedback that it is progressing straightaway, and you probably closed the browser window thinking that it wasn't working.

But when you re-visited the site later, you triggered the import to continue, which it did and then completed, allowing the site to work "normally".

So in a way "yes, there is a ghost in the system" but a good one.

Re: eternally loading of modules 10 years 2 months ago #7

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The first stage in the import is to delete the old data.

If the gedcom is large, this can take many seconds.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to show feedback while this is happening.

Therefore there is a delay until 0% appears.

But as dxradio says, the system is designed to stop and start. If you close your browser in the middle of an import, it will continue when you reconnect.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• Page: