If you need to upgrade your PGV installation, then hopefully you will also consider that you can conveniently move to webtrees with our PGV-to-webtrees wizard. It will move ALL your users, news, favorites and family trees to webtrees in a matter of minutes.

TOPIC: Instructions for manual migration

Instructions for manual migration 6 years 7 months ago #1

• hhhoagie
I just installed v1.2.7 and got a fatal error using the migration wizard and was wondering if there is instructions for manual migrations. I did a search and couldn't find anything.
Thanks for any help, Bob
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Instructions for manual migration 6 years 7 months ago #2

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
Welcome to webtrees.

Manual migrations will simply be an import of your family tree(s). They will require you reconfigure your preferences and settings, you will lose all your users, news, favorites and more. For many, this is not a big deal, but for others - a deal breaker. Given the number of table and code changes (over 6,000), there is no other means to do so.

We have had hundreds of successful transfers via the wizard and a few who had unique configurations where we were able to resolve their problems to benefit future users. You have given no information about the error(s), so I can not advise what occurred and how you might fix it. Usually, it is an improperly configured server (php problems), memory, or an incorrect version of PGV.
Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com, a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

Re: Instructions for manual migration 6 years 7 months ago #3

• hhhoagie
Thank you for your quick reply to my question. I don't want to loose my users and their profiles so maybe I need to work through these errors.
Here is what I get:

pgv_site_setting => wt_site_setting ...

pgv_gedcom => wt_gedcom ...

pgv_gedcom_setting => wt_gedcom_setting ...

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'PDOException' with message 'SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1270 Illegal mix of collations (utf8_unicode_ci,COERCIBLE), (utf8_unicode_ci,COERCIBLE), (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation 'case'' in /home/rhoaglan/www/webtrees/library/WT/DBStatement.php:88 Stack trace: #0 [internal function]: PDOStatement->execute() #1 /home/rhoaglan/www/webtrees/library/WT/DBStatement.php(88): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #2 /home/rhoaglan/www/webtrees/admin_pgv_to_wt.php(270): WT_DBStatement->__call('execute', Array) #3 /home/rhoaglan/www/webtrees/admin_pgv_to_wt.php(270): WT_DBStatement->execute() #4 {main} thrown in /home/rhoaglan/www/webtrees/library/WT/DBStatement.php on line 88

Thank for any help you can give me, Bob

Re: Instructions for manual migration 6 years 7 months ago #4

• ToyGuy
Bob
The answer is explicit. COLLATION.
Collation problems (mixed) within PGV is/was a common problem. I had it in my SQL tables.
If not corrected, it leads to problems affecting UTF-8 characters (accents mostly) and your data will likely be corrupted.

Don't fret - it is an easy fix, thanks to Greg's PGV collation tool/instructions, posted on the PGV site. You must use his instructions and convert your entire PGV installation to one collation or another - preferably UTF-8 unicode. PGV encodes and decoded and reencodes your data so that it can display it after the collation errors. Using the tool means exporting your tables and then reimporting them with the proper collation - all within your PGV setup.

Once complete, and assuming you are using a 4.2.3 or better version (preferably 4.2.4 or 4.3svn), you should have no problems with the wizard.

Re: Instructions for manual migration 6 years 7 months ago #5

• ToyGuy

Re: Instructions for manual migration 6 years 7 months ago #6

• kiwi
  • Platinum
Once you have sorted out the collations as explained by Stephen, you will want to re-run the transfer wizard. To save you hunting, here's a snippett from an earlier thread about that:
The link [to the transfer wizard] is only shown when you have no family trees and only one user [in webtrees]. This is to prevent you accidently overwriting your data - plus you should only need to use it the once.

Delete your trees/users, and the option should reappear.

(Note: I've moved this topic to a more appropriate category)
Nigel

www.our-families.info

Hosted at:
Follow me at:

Re: Instructions for manual migration 6 years 7 months ago #7

• hhhoagie
Well thank you to both for your help. I'll work on this tomorrow.
Moderators: makitso