If you need to upgrade your PGV installation, then hopefully you will also consider that you can conveniently move to webtrees with our PGV-to-webtrees wizard. It will move ALL your users, news, favorites and family trees to webtrees in a matter of minutes.

TOPIC: Upgrading with phpGedView installed in web root

Upgrading with phpGedView installed in web root 6 years 3 months ago #1

• stoz
Hi,

I am looking for some advice. I would like to upgrade from phpGedView to webtrees.

Currently my phpGedView is installed in the web root folder of a subdomain on my host.

Eg: tree.mydomain.com

I would like to be able to upgrade and end up with webtrees still located at tree.mydomain.com (rather than say tree.mydomain.com/webtree/)

What advice / tips can you give me?

Do the following steps work?
  • Move my phpGedView installation into a directory
  • Install webtrees into a different directory
  • Perform the upgrade
  • Once I am satisfied that the upgrade worked, remove my phpGedView directory and then move webtrees out of the folder and back into the root
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Upgrading with phpGedView installed in web root 6 years 3 months ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
The domain names are unimportant. This is just how you have configured your DNS.

What matters is the directories. Now, you don't say what directories you have used, but I guess you are using subdomain-rewrites, and that tree.mydomain.com is served from /home/my_account/public_html/tree

So, install webtrees in /home/my_account/public_html/webtrees and access it through webtrees.mydomain.com

Once the setup and migration is complete, rename the "tree" folder to "old-phpgedview" and rename the "webtrees" folder to "tree".
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: makitso