If you need to upgrade your PGV installation, then hopefully you will also consider that you can conveniently move to webtrees with our PGV-to-webtrees wizard. It will move ALL your users, news, favorites and family trees to webtrees in a matter of minutes.

TOPIC: 500 internal server error after phpgedview import

500 internal server error after phpgedview import 6 years 2 weeks ago #1

• madhatas
Hello,

I have just found and installed webtrees after using phpgedview for years. My site is www.ourgenealogy.info which is still the old phpgedview (v 4.2.3) I have installed webtrees at www.ourgenealogy.info/webtrees

I have installed a number of times, first with v 1.3.2 and found the already reported problem of the phpgedview wizard not working. So I downloaded and installed v 1.3.1 and ran the import wizard and all seemed to work up to the point when it said "click to continue" after the wizard ran. Now I only get a 500 internal server error on the webtrees pages.

Looking a the tables in mysql it appears to have imported the data in the wt_ tables.

I have tried this process twice now.

Any ideas?

Many thanks for your help.

Tim
The administrator has disabled public write access.

500 internal server error after phpgedview import 6 years 2 weeks ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
When you get a "500" error, you will almost certainly find a more verbose and helpful error message in your webserver's error logs. Can you check there, and tell us what they say?

However, I have just visited your site, and it seems to work OK. No error messages. Your welcome page shows you have 1371 individuals, etc.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

500 internal server error after phpgedview import 6 years 2 weeks ago #3

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
Tim
A 500 error is not indicative of a webtrees problem, but rather usually a DNS or server problem.
There are several 'continue' buttons, but I must assume you are referring to the one presented during the SETUP.PHP routine and you have done as the instructions indicate - "transferred the config.ini.php file downloaded to your local machine to the webtrees folder /data folder and you have permissions properly set (that is tested by SETUP.PHP).

In the next version, the config.ini.php will be automatically written (if possible, given your server configuration) to the proper location, but that doesn't help you for now.

If you have relocated the config file properly, and you have the proper underlying support software, you should be able to access the new installation.

If you persist with problems, please contact me offline and we'll discuss options.
Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com, a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

500 internal server error after phpgedview import 6 years 2 weeks ago #4

• madhatas
Hello again.

How odd. You are right it is working. I tried it on another PC and it worked. So I closed the browser on the PC I did the install on and then re-opened and all is well.

How very strange.

Thank you for your fast responses, I am looking forward to getting to grips with webtrees.

Tim
Moderators: makitso