If you need to upgrade your PGV installation, then hopefully you will also consider that you can conveniently move to webtrees with our PGV-to-webtrees wizard. It will move ALL your users, news, favorites and family trees to webtrees in a matter of minutes.

TOPIC: [SOLVED] PhpGedView must use the same database as webtrees

PhpGedView must use the same database as webtrees 2 years 8 months ago #1

• postmaster@elfersi.com
Hi,
I am migrating from PGV 4.2.4 (PHP 5.4.45) to WT 1.7.2.
The wizard is stuck at 'Where is your PhpGedView installation?': when I input '../phpGedView', I get 'PhpGedView must use the same database as webtrees.'
Thru PhpMyAdmin, I can see that the wizard already created some tables in the existing PGV db though (DB type is MYSQL v.5.5)
Can you please help?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

PhpGedView must use the same database as webtrees 2 years 8 months ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
> I get 'PhpGedView must use the same database as webtrees.'

This means that webtrees found the configuration file for PGV, and the database is on a different server to webtrees.

The data is copied using SQL statements such as INSERT INTO webtrees.wt_table SELECT * FROM phpgedview.pgv_table.

This only works if the two databases are on the same server

Note that if the two databases *are* on the same server, but you have given them different names (e.g. "localhost" and "127..0.0.1"), then webtrees won't be able to work this out. They must have the same names.

If you want to use the transfer wizard, then I'd suggest installing webtrees on the PGV server, and then using phpmyyadmin to copy the database to your new server.

Alternatively, you can transfer your genealogy data (i.e. but not user accounts, preferences and configuration) by exporting your data to a GEDCOM file, and importing that into webtrees.

> I can see that the wizard already created some tables in the existing PGV

There is nothing in the code that creates tables in the PGV database. We access it completely read-only. So, without further info (e.g. a list of tables, plus a list of every step you've taken), I can't really suggest anything. But, my best guess is that you tried installing webtrees into the same database, and it got stuck when it came to a table that already existed.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

PhpGedView must use the same database as webtrees 2 years 8 months ago #3

• postmaster@elfersi.com
Thanks FishAreBest,
Can you please clarify:
- the message says: 'PhpGedView must use the same database as webtrees.'
- but you write: 'you tried installing webtrees into the same database, and it got stuck'
So should PGV and WT be on the same db or not?
As far as I can remember, details I entered in the wizard:
- same server as PGV
- same db name as PGV
- same db admin as PGV
Tables I see are: wt_block, wt_block_setting, wt_change, wt_dates, wt_default_resn, wt_families, wt_favorite, wt_gedcom, wt_gedcom_chunk, wt_gedcom_setting, wt_hit_counter, wt_individuals, wt_link, wt_log, wt_media, wt_message, wt_module, wt_module_privacy, wt_module_setting, wt_name, wt_news, wt_next_id, wt_other, wt_placelinks, wt_places, wt_session, wt_site_access_rule, wt_site_setting, wt_sources, wt_user, wt_user_gedcom_setting, wt_user_setting
Again, many thanks for your help

PhpGedView must use the same database as webtrees 2 years 8 months ago #4

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
> but you write: 'you tried installing webtrees into the same database, and it got stuck'

That was just my guess, based on your comment that "some tables were created". I assumed "some" meant "not all".

> Tables I see are

Good. That looks like a full set of tables were created.

> So should PGV and WT be on the same db or not?

If you want to use the transfer wizard, then yes they should.

> The wizard is stuck at 'Where is your PhpGedView installation?': when I input '../phpGedView', I get 'PhpGedView must use the same database as webtrees.'

This suggests that webtrees and PGV are using *different* databases.

What definitions do you have for "DBHOST" for each application.

In webtrees, it is defined in data/config.ini.php
In PGV, it is defined in config.php or index/config.php (sorry - can't remember the exact name).

Are these the same?
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

PhpGedView must use the same database as webtrees 2 years 8 months ago #5

• postmaster@elfersi.com
Thanks Greg.
You're right on: the dbhost were different. So I updated data/config.ini.php to match PGV and it worked!
Now, it just have to take care of the media :-)
Again thanks so much for your help

[SOLVED] PhpGedView must use the same database as webtrees 2 years 8 months ago #6

• postmaster@elfersi.com
Problem solved.
Moderators: makitso