If you need to upgrade your PGV installation, then hopefully you will also consider that you can conveniently move to webtrees with our PGV-to-webtrees wizard. It will move ALL your users, news, favorites and family trees to webtrees in a matter of minutes.

TOPIC: Converting from Broken PhpGedView site

Converting from Broken PhpGedView site 3 years 3 months ago #1

• dshedin
I currently have a PhpGedView site that I believe was/is Version 4.2.1 that was/is using the Joomla plugin. It broke when the webhost I'm using(ICDSoft) upgraded the PHP version a few years ago. I would like to move it over to a webtrees site and I'm wondering what the best course of action is. I saw the wiki and it says it only supports versions 4.2.3 or 4.2.4. Do I have to make a new server with PHP that supports the old site, get that running and upgrade it and then migrate it? I can't do a GEDCOM export because its broken and there is no automated process that creates those right? The files and the database are all fine I believe. I don't have a ton of users so I'd be ok with the GEDCOM path if that is easiest.

The server now has PHP 5.3.29 and 5.5.26 and MySQL 5.6.27.

Any help would be appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Converting from Broken PhpGedView site 3 years 3 months ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
It's been a very long time since I looked at PGV code, so I don't know how much changed between 4.2.1 and 4.2.3

> it says it only supports versions 4.2.3 or 4.2.4

The import wizard doesn't need a working copy of PGV. It needs the database and the configuration files. Specifically, it needs the PGV database to be at "schema version 10" or later. You can read the version from the pgv_site_setting table ("PGV_SCHEMA_VERSION").

If this is less than 10, look at the update scripts (includes/db_schema...?) and run them manually.

(Make a backup of the DB before you start!)
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net
The administrator has disabled public write access.