Web based family history software

If you need to upgrade your PGV installation, then hopefully you will also consider that you can conveniently move to webtrees with our PGV-to-webtrees wizard. It will move ALL your users, news, favorites and family trees to webtrees in a matter of minutes.

Question Does there need to be a "Migrating from PGV" forum

More
13 years 5 months ago #1 by choyk
I'm still running a live PGV system while I check out webtrees. So a few questions have come to mind. They may belong in other categories but on the other hand 9it does represent a particular category of questions and problems. What say ye?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 years 5 months ago #2 by fisharebest
There is an "Importing data from PhpGedView" section on the FAQ page of the wiki....

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
13 years 5 months ago #3 by axel
... where? Here .... Wiki FAQs ?

Axel

webtrees 2.1.18
PHP 8.2.9

genealogie.schreiter.info

More
13 years 5 months ago #4 by choyk
Eventually, the experience of the survivors can be distilled into FAQ's - but writing FAQ's before they're asked assumes a level of omniscience not usually found amongst geeks. (If it was, we wouldn't need Requirements documents in the first place &c.)

I was trying to corral the questions that pertain specifically to PGV migrations since I assume there probably will be quite a few people who will eventually come down that track.

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
13 years 5 months ago #5 by ToyGuy
We hope that many will discover that the webtrees code efficient and effective and move across. It is for this reason that we wrote the PGV-2-webtrees wizard. To be honest, there are very few questions to be asked as the wizard is nearly fool-proof and has been heavily tested on dozens of varying hosts and virtually every platform. Today, I know of no issues remaining with its use.

Sure, I'm sure Nigel could create a Forum with the title you propose, but does that actually make people too lazy, asking questions prior to simply reading the instructions and using the wizard? I think, based on experience, probably so. It is incumbent upon users of O/S software to try to acquaint themselves with the product. While the webtrees team is here to help stamp out bugs and to suggest solutions to other issues, we have limited numbers and time and can ill afford to support something that - IMHO - doesn't need support. I've done over 100 wizard transfers on several different configurations and AFAIK, it is pretty self-explanatory and without issue.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

More
13 years 5 months ago #6 by kiwi

axel wrote: ... where? Here .... Wiki FAQs ?

Axel

Here: wiki.webtrees.net/Converting_from_PhpGedView

The same information is in the ReadMe file included with the downloaded webtrees package.

On the original question from Kerry - I would tend to agree with Stephen. Yes, there have been questions, but as webtrees was started as a branch from PGV I see them as just part of "normal" issues. Also, (wearing my site admin hat) I don't want too many different forum sections. It just gets messy. We will get more over time I'm sure, especially as major releases occur (e.g. ver 2.0 etc).

We have however discussed possibly adding one for PGV transfer issues where the PGV version is earlier than the wizard can handle (pre-4.2.3) - but as yet the simple recommendation of first upgrading to 4.2.3 seems to have covered everyone's needs.

More
13 years 4 months ago #7 by WGroleau

writing FAQ's before they're asked assumes a level of omniscience not usually found amongst geeks

:-) True, but aren't a lot of them really FAQ, SAQ, and OAQ (pronounced sack, fack, and whack)?

That is, Frequently Asked Questions, Sometimes Asked Questions, and Ought-to-be Asked Questions.

--
Wes Groleau
UniGen.us/

More
13 years 4 months ago #8 by makitso
Guys, I just could not stay out of this one :-)

I strongly agree, there should be a forum or topic area for migration. Yes the migration utility is great. But it does not answer questions if a problem arises.

Wiki's are not updated often enough and install notes only address the happy path :-)

Rob
www.skatekey.net ( webtrees 2.1 beta GitHub)
webtrees forum admin
PHP 8.1.21
Hosted at tigertech.net

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 years 4 months ago #9 by fisharebest
<<I strongly agree>>

I strongly have no opinion one way or the other ;-)

I generally access the forum using the "recent posts" option, so it doesn't matter to me which categories/areas exist. It might matter to people who browse the site.

Creating a separate area could have two effects

1) reassure people that help is available for the migration
2) indicate that migration is so problematic it needs a special help forum.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• hartenthaler
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 2 months ago #10 by hartenthaler
I had one problem during the installation of webtrees: the buttons of the setup-tool have no function in my environment [Bug 694366]. So I had to modify the code of setup.php. Finally everything was installed. I copied the media files to the new location and started the migration process.

Now I still have the problem, that all the umlauts and other special characters are destroyed after the migration (see forum webtrees.net/forums/10-help-for-ver-10-l...er-transfer-from-pgv ). This was not indicated before in the webtrees documents and is an old problem of phpgedview. In the meantime I found the information that there is a procedure to modify the phpgedview tables before starting the migration. Up to now this procedure is not working correct for my installation. When this problem will be solved, I have to de-install webtrees to get the possibility to use the migration tool again.

So a little bit more information about the possible problems during the migration from phpgedview to webtrees may be helpful. One of the major problems of phpgedview was that there was no good documentation. webtrees has now Forums, wiki, Bug Reports available and people who are supporting the users. Thanks for that!