This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.1.x). For issues related to beta or svn version please use their own Help forum.
When requesting help please provide as much information as possible. Explain what version of webtrees, PHP and MYSQL you are using. If possible provide a URL to your site so we can see the problem first-hand.
Tip: Think about putting these details in your signature, so it appears in the footer of ALL your messages
  • Page:

TOPIC: installation questions - htaccess, fact dups, +

installation questions - htaccess, fact dups, + 8 years 11 months ago #1

• kbleimes
  • kbleimes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have just installed the latest version and having some issues. I am a web developer but not a techy so please don't assume I know anything:
- am getting "Could not write to file media/.htaccess. Please check it for proper Write permissions." error on administration configuration

I am on a shared hosting siite at crystaltech.com with MySQL 5.0 and the latest php version (ASP/ASP.NET 2.0 & 3.5).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by kbleimes. Reason: 2 of 3 issues resollved

Re: installation questions - htaccess, fact dups, + 8 years 11 months ago #2

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen

"Could not write to file media/.htaccess. Please check it for proper Write permissions."

What permissions have you set on your media folder(s)?
Recursive chmod 777 (666 on the files) must be set on whichever folder (and both) the media folder in the main section as well as the media folder inside your DATA folder.

2) Marriage facts are NOT INDI facts, but rather FAM records facts, although they appear in the PF tab of each involved INDI.
Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

Last edit: by ToyGuy.

Re: installation questions - htaccess, fact dups, + 8 years 11 months ago #3

• kbleimes
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have not set any permissions (knowingly). Where do I set them? Do I right click on them and go to properties? I have seen "chmod" referred to in other explanations and do not know where to go to set it. Thanks.

Re: installation questions - htaccess, fact dups, + 8 years 11 months ago #4

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
"chmod" is the UNIX command to set file permissions.

You are not using UNIX. You will need to do the equivalent in Microsoft Windows.

<<Do I right click on them and go to properties>>

Yes. You will need to grant write-access to the webserver account (possibly called "apache", possibly not), on the two directories /data and /media
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Re: installation questions - htaccess, fact dups, + 8 years 11 months ago #5

• kbleimes
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Checked with my hosting service on "how to" and all is well - thanks all

• Page: