Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.1.x). For issues related to beta or svn version please use their own Help forum.
When requesting help please provide as much information as possible. Explain what version of webtrees, PHP and MYSQL you are using. If possible provide a URL to your site so we can see the problem first-hand.
Tip: Think about putting these details in your signature, so it appears in the footer of ALL your messages

Question GoDaddy Performance

• danhaas
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 1 week ago #21 by danhaas
Replied by danhaas on topic Re: GoDaddy Performance

My Account => My Products => Web Hosting =>Launch => Databases => MySQL => Manage via phpMyAdmin

I know how to access phpmyadmin, just not sure where to look for the current settings once I get there.

So you're Deluxe on Linux, while I'm Economy on Windows.

I think there is a lot of probability that this may be where your problems are. Probably and more than likely why you had to perform the extra step with the php.ini file just to get the install running and I did not. I learned a long time ago that most website software is designed to run on a linux or unix based system. I started out years ago trying to run websites on windows based servers and ran into nothing but problems. Having to do a hack or tweak here and there to get things to work the way they should (as you had to recently). Then I switched to linux based servers just to see if there was a difference and try something new and I haven't looked back. Unless you have software that requires it I see no reason to go with a windows server.
Just my humble opinion based on my own experience...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 week ago #22 by murph
Replied by murph on topic Re: GoDaddy Performance
To see the settings, click on: "Show MySQL system variables". This appears to show all the configuration settings.

However, I'm not sure I'm going to necessarily learn anything from this exercise. This is my first experience with web hosting beyond what Comcast gives me for free with my internet service (all you can do is FTP HTML files), and also my first time installing a web application. Looks like I made a few bad decisions here. Oh well, I guess that's how one learns.

I didn't know why one would choose either Linux or Windows based, and I couldn't find any explanations why the two are offered. The best rationale I had was - "I'm running on a Windows machine, so I must need a Windows server?". I also didn't realize that webtrees required so much processing power from the server, so I thought the minimum would do. Now I'm picturing my Economy package Windows server as a laptop running W2K in some guy's basement.

I'm starting to think I've come full circle back to the very first responses to this thread - DUMP MY EXISTING SERVICE.

Despite my server woes, I'm really quite impressed with webtrees capabilities though.

webtrees v1.1.1
MySQL v5.0.91, PHP v5.2.17

More
13 years 1 week ago - 13 years 1 week ago #23 by Jackie
Replied by Jackie on topic Re: GoDaddy Performance
Hi murph,

I would say Stephen is right (see his post #16 earlier). Try to learn webtrees on your local computer first. It is easy to install a local server such as xampp or wamp. Then, you will know what you need.
Last edit: 13 years 1 week ago by Jackie.

• danhaas
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 1 week ago #24 by danhaas

I also didn't realize that webtrees required so much processing power from the server, so I thought the minimum would do

The minimum would do - I started out on the economy plan and was running webtrees fine. I moved up to the next level because I needed more drive space for other websites I own under the same package. The only difference in the shared hosting packages is the features. They share the same cpu and memory setups more often than not. The only major differences are the hard drive space, the number of sql databases, number of emails etc.... I have some comments, suggestions and questions for you if you want to discuss this further off forum email me at scaleydan at gmail.com

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 1 week ago #25 by norwegian_sardines
Replied by norwegian_sardines on topic Re: GoDaddy Performance
When you can, it would be good to include your findings here so that other people considering GoDaddy can make a better first time decision!

GD is a popular place to use as a web host and knowing right off the bat what works and what does not would be a major benefit to the community.

Ken

• davistom
  • davistom
More
13 years 1 week ago #26 by davistom
Replied by davistom on topic Re: GoDaddy Performance
As with an earlier post by danhaas, I have a GoDaddy Web-Deluxe-Linux account and have operated it for a couple of years with a homebrew front end php app and a 9 GEDCOM PGV installation without any grief. I just took a look at the server php info and it runs PHP 5.2.17, same as danhaas's report in the earlier post. The webtrees system requirements section of the readme specifies 5.2.3 or later since at least v1.0.6, and probably much earlier - I haven't looked. Is that the issue?

Live site (fotgp.com) - php 5.4, MySql 5.0.96, webtrees 1.7.9
Desktop - Win 7, Xampp 1.8.1, php 5.4.7, MySql 5.5.27, webtrees 1.7.9

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
13 years 1 week ago #27 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic Re: GoDaddy Performance
Tom
Why would it be? 14 revisions past the minimum requirements.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

More
13 years 1 week ago #28 by murph
Ok, I made the server switch from Windows to Linux last night. This weekend I will re-install webtrees and report back on how well it works.

In the meantime, I did find this blurb on a post today on GoDaddy's forum:

"I use PHP and switched from Windows to Linux. The performance of my website improved dramatically. The GoDaddy support rep told me that PHP does not run well on Windows."

And the response to this from GD:

"If the site is running PHP, the preferred platform would be Linux."

Again, I'll post how well this works for me.

webtrees v1.1.1

• danhaas
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 1 week ago #29 by danhaas
From "murph"

However, I'm not sure I'm going to necessarily learn anything from this exercise

Seems you discovered for yourself that windows doesn't play well with php. I'd say that qualifies as leaning something!
Oh, and I'm glad to hear your not throwin' in the towel and calling it quits yet.

More
13 years 1 week ago - 13 years 1 week ago #30 by murph
Ok, webtrees is re-installed on the Linux server and I'm very happy to say that it works like a charm. Pages, graphics, derived objects, etc. all pop right up as I would expect.

So the lesson here for any new GoDaddy installations is to STAY CLEAR OF WINDOWS WEB HOSTING. Actually, I believe this will be true for any web hosting provider because it appears to be Windows vs. Linux with PHP rather than GoDaddy itself.

Dan Haas, thank you very much for sharing your experiences with me. You helped tremendously.

In summary:

1) the Economy package works just fine - Deluxe is just more stuff (storage, apps, email accounts, etc.)
2) You MUST select Linux - NOT Windows
3) Choose "No" for direct database access
4) During the webtrees configuration, "localhost" does not work for the database server. You have to go find it (click on the tiny pencil icon associated with your database in GoDaddy)

I hope this will help future webtrees users using GoDaddy web hosting (or thinking about a Windows server).

EDIT: One big drawback is that you will have to do all of your own backups with GoDaddy.

webtrees v1.1.1
Last edit: 13 years 1 week ago by murph.