Question Default gedcom language

• mlocati
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 9 months ago #1 by mlocati
Default gedcom language was created by mlocati
Hello to everybody!

When I import a GEDCOM into webtrees, the Language setting in the gedcom configuration page (section GEDCOM Basics), is always set to English. Shouldn't this option be set to the language currently active for the user that imported the GEDCOM?

I mean, if I'm Italian and I'm importing a GEDCOM into webtrees, it is more likely that the intended audience is Italians (my relatives)... I think that the language setting (as any other setting) should have a default value that suits well for the greatest numbers of installations/users.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 years 9 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Re: Default gedcom language
If you are a visitor to the site, webtrees uses your browser's language settings to choose a language.

If you are logged in, webtrees use's the language in your account settings.

If you are a search engine (or if you are a visitor and your browser does not set a language), then you get this gedcom-setting.

I agree that 'en' is a poor default for this. Easy to fix. I'll do it when I get home.

bugs.launchpad.net/webtrees/+bug/592539

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
13 years 9 months ago #3 by wooc
Replied by wooc on topic Re: Default gedcom language
Is it possible to set Surname tradition to polish when Polish language is set as default?

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 years 9 months ago #4 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Re: Default gedcom language
wooc wrote:

Is it possible to set Surname tradition to polish when Polish language is set as default?

Yes - same for spanish, portuguese, etc. I'll do that as well.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net