Web based family history software

Question PGV 2 WT wizzard

• wdm001
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 7 months ago #1 by wdm001
PGV 2 WT wizzard was created by wdm001
I have done a test installation which was a couple of days ago and noted that the wizard would not work unless the mysql user name I was using for webtrees was also assigned to the PGV database. I do not see this as an issue and quite happy to alter the Wiki if you confirm that this is the behaviour. I confirm that the wt and pgv first admin user is identical

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
13 years 7 months ago #2 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic Re:PGV 2 WT wizzard
To use the webtrees wizard, the webtrees db user name must have privileges to your PGV db as well. They need not be the same if you have already created a user that has either root privileges or has privileges to create DB's and has rights to the PGV db. For instance, due to multiple transfers to test the wizard (now over 100 times), I have a user with rights to the DB name I create for webtrees. When I drop the new webtrees db and trash the config-ini.php file from the data folder, I don't touch the user I had created. This user continues to have privileges for both the PGV and soon-to-be-created webtrees db. It is not the same as my PGV user name.

For most new installations of webtrees , we would expect most admins to have only one db user name (the most common configuration) and hope it has rights to create db's. Further, we would expect the new admin to select that user for the webtrees db install. The wizard tests to see if it can create a DB with the supplied username and password and, if it can not, it advises the admin that they need to create an empty DB for webtrees.

Do you think it necessary to mention all this? Don't you think most new admins will choose their existing PGV db username? No where in the instructions does it say to go to your DB and create a new user and db. Hopefully, that procedure is unnecessary.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to mention that the DB username you enter has to be pre-existing and have both db-create privileges and rights to the PGV db, but we had hoped to leave the procedure as uncomplicated as possible.

Let's see what some others think.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

More
13 years 7 months ago #3 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Re:PGV 2 WT wizzard
For the ovewhelming majority of our users, they will have one DB username/account, which they will use for PGV/webtrees/other applications.

For the (very few?) users who have their own server and set up their own DB users/accounts, it is assumed that if they are competent to configure their own server, they can configure the access rights.

As Stephen said, I designed this to be as simple as possible, for the majority of users.

But, your point is quite valid, and probably worth mentioning in the wiki/wherever.

Greg
--
A pub in cumbria with intermittent wireless internet access.... and a fine selection of real ales... ;-)

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
13 years 7 months ago #4 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic Re:PGV 2 WT wizzard
Small addition (item #2 now) for U/N and privileges. Feel free to modify it, of course.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28