Web based family history software

Question Request on Monthly Calendar takes at least 30 sec.

• rick
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 6 months ago #1 by rick
Hi,

Due to the fact that my database is big? the first request for a monthly overview of events takes more than 30 seconds.
During that time, the web browser shows only 'waiting for " www.domain.com ".

Would it be not more friendly to show a message to the visitor which tells that the server did receive the message and is currently collecting all events. This might take some time.

Looking at me, I would feel more comfortable to know that my query did arrive at the server.

Rick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #2 by fisharebest
This may sound like a daft question, but there is a reason for it (and since you didn't give a URL, I have to ask...)

Is this behaviour the same on all themes? Do some themes show a page header while generating the rest of the page?

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• rick
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 6 months ago #3 by rick
Hi Greg,

Well, it took me a time to find the button to change the theme. Finnaly found it at my user profile. The block on the main page does not show anything except the help button. But okay, this is an other issue.

After changed the theme, tested it again and yes, it took about the same time before it comes back. I must admit that
you can see that the query request did reach the server due to the fact that the calendar first part is shown. But at the
same time that could worries the visitor, you get response and that it takes an other 30 seconds to have the page finished.

The links to my test page will be in PB.

Rick.

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
13 years 6 months ago #4 by ToyGuy
Rick
Do you have your site configured to show the THEMES change link?
GEDCOM Admin > Access > Theme dropdown selector for theme changes Hide/Show

Are other functions terribly slow? The calendar is a pretty big calculation - is your server configured with enough memory and a fast processor?

On my uber-fast machine, with 85,000 INDI's, it takes 21 seconds to start loading the calendar.
Execution time: 27.770 sec. Total Database Queries: 2383. Total privacy checks: 8266. Total Memory Usage: 127232 KB.

Stephen

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

More
13 years 6 months ago #5 by fisharebest
rick wrote:

After changed the theme, tested it again and yes, it took about the same time before it comes back. I must admit that you can see that the query request did reach the server due to the fact that the calendar first part is shown. But at the same time that could worries the visitor, you get response and that it takes an other 30 seconds to have the page finished.

I noticed that some of the themes "flush" their output to the browser after displaying the header. I was thinking that perhaps your combination of theme/browser was causing the entire page to wait until it started displaying anything.

But as you have just said, you do get the header immediately (which wasn't clear from your first post....).

The solution (IMHO) is not for various "progress indicators", but to simply improve the performance. There are almost certainly things that can be done here.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• atl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 6 months ago #6 by atl
Oh wow, that is pretty ugly.

As this functionality isn't worth the cost (incl goodwill on a shared server), does anyone have hints as to how to turn the Calendar feature off? I didn't find it exposed via the Module interface.

More
13 years 6 months ago #7 by fisharebest
You cannot easily disable the calendar. Most dates are rendered as links to the appropriate calendar page.

If you really did want to do it, the easiest way might be to write a custom theme that (a) removed the link from the header and (b) used javascript to disable all <a href> tags inside a <span class="date"></span>

BTW - in what way is it "ugly". We're happy to accept criticism, but it helps if it is accompanied with suggestions.....

More
13 years 6 months ago #8 by fisharebest
FYI, on my shared server, with approx 10,000 individuals, it takes about 10 seconds to generate a monthly calendar.

Execution time: 9.114 sec. Total Database Queries: 7647. Total privacy checks: 2443. Total Memory Usage: 27904 KB.

Three out of four of these statistics look OK to me. The number of database queries is higher than needed. This is partly due to some ongoing refactoring work. Since the 1.0 release, we've been more concerned with stability and bug fixes than further refactoring. But the refactoring work will continue.

• dxradio
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 6 months ago #9 by dxradio
FYI ... almost the same GEDCOM ... just under 24000 indi ... generating a Sept 2010 calendar

Home machine
Execution time: 3.343 sec. Total Database Queries: 5765. Total privacy checks: 2015. Total Memory Usage: 37632 KB

Shared server
Execution time: 33.762 sec. Total Database Queries: 5766. Total privacy checks: 2017. Total Memory Usage: 22272 KB

(versions info in sig.)

• rick
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 6 months ago #10 by rick
I am running the site on Ubuntu 10.4 with Apache2.

When I start a new session with webtrees, the first time to request a monthly calendar overview will not show the
header but displays the website in once. This was done with Microsoft Explorer 8
Normally I use Firefox which is displaying the header first. So this looks like it is browser depending except for the total time.

The performance data:

Uitvoeringstijd: 30.561 sec. Totaal aantal databasevragen: 3113. Aantal privacycontroles: 3251. Totaal geheugengebruik: 42496 KB.

Sorry it is in Dutch. Excecution time is 30.561 seconds.

@Stephen,

Thanks for pointing to the theme selection. I overlooked this option. Now it is working.

Rick.

• rick
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 6 months ago #11 by rick
dxradio wrote:

FYI ... almost the same GEDCOM ... just under 24000 indi ... generating a Sept 2010 calendar

Home machine
Execution time: 3.343 sec. Total Database Queries: 5765. Total privacy checks: 2015. Total Memory Usage: 37632 KB

Shared server
Execution time: 33.762 sec. Total Database Queries: 5766. Total privacy checks: 2017. Total Memory Usage: 22272 KB

(versions info in sig.)

Wow, that's quite a performance difference. Is the difference related to processor power?

Rick.

• dxradio
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 6 months ago #12 by dxradio
Possibly ... I don't know the CPU(s) in the Shared server. I have a 3.06 Core2 Duo in the iMac.
The only other obvious difference is that the home machine is using MyISAM tables, whereas the Shared server is InnoDB ... I could enable InnoDB at home too, but it's not going to help my Shared server site.
I could also have tweaked my.cnf a little at home and there might be some benefits to having done so. This might show the "added value" of your own server over a shared server.

Mark

• rick
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 6 months ago #13 by rick
Hi Mark,

The data shown in my reply is also from a home server. I am running my websites on a private server and not on a shared ISP server. Nevertheless the performance is slow on this calendar. It is not something which is webtrees depended, the PGV version is doing the same. Could you display your fine tuned settings for php? Could try to implement them and see if the performance is going to be better.
By the way, the topic was not about discussing the speed of showing data but just to have something shown on the browser when waiting for the final page shown the calendar data.

Rick

• atl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 6 months ago #14 by atl
> BTW - in what way is it "ugly". We're happy to accept criticism, but it helps if it is accompanied with suggestions.....

Sorry, you're right, it's unfair to do a drive-by criticism like that without offering some detail.
7647 queries on one PHP page -- in my experience of deploying web apps and being sensitive to scale -- seems excessive by a couple orders of magnitude. If you tell me this is raw and unoptimised code, then fine. But it seems the wrong crawler could take a server to its knees.

BTW - my concerns are less than yours, apparently, as I have far fewer INDIs:
Execution time: 2.340 sec. Total Database Queries: 509. Total privacy checks: 91. Total Memory Usage: 15872 KB.

More
13 years 6 months ago #15 by fisharebest
atl wrote:

If you tell me this is raw and unoptimised code, then fine. But it seems the wrong crawler could take a server to its knees.

The code is in the middle of refactoring. We currently have two parallel systems for accessing data (object based and gedcom based). These are independent, and don't share caches. All access needs to be moved to the object-based framework. This could halve the number of DB queries on this sort of page. Also, once we do this, we'll be able to fetch multiple individuals in a single query (e.g. all the anniversaries for each day).

Oh - and crawlers don't get to see the calendar page. Crawlers are pretty much limited to the INDI/FAM pages and INDI/FAM lists.