Web based family history software

Question confused by the "Also known as" field

• Yung
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 3 days ago #1 by Yung
I'm entering Chinese names both in Surname and Given Names.
For some individuals, I also enter "Also known as" fields, which should be addition given names.

If I enter an English name in the "Also known as" field, eg David. somehow only this name will be shown in Interactive Chart as "... David" for this individual.
However if the "Also known as" name field is in Chinese, then Given Name+Surname is correctly shown in the Chart, not the "Also known as" names.
My questions are:
1) How to make this consistently shown the Given Name+Surname for all individuals in the Interactive Chart?
2) Why "... " is added in front of "David"?

Another strange behaviour is when I go to the List Names or List Families, the Chinese Names that I previously entered in "Also known as" now also showed up as "Surnames".
How to add additional given names instead of surnames?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 days ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic confused by the "Also known as" field
It would be easier to help you if you give us a link to your site. Or perhaps copy the raw GEDCOM data for this individual.

> 1) How to make this consistently shown the Given Name+Surname for all individuals in the Interactive Chart?

I guess that you have entered a surname for the chinese name, but not for the latin name.

If an individual has more than one name, and these names are written in different scripts (latin, chinese, cyrillic, arabic, etc.), then webtrees will choose the name that uses the same script as your language.

It does not matter if the name is "also known as" or "birth".

> 2) Why "... " is added in front of "David"?

Probably because you did not enter a surname. "..." is used to indicate an unknown surname or an unknown given name.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• Yung
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 3 days ago #3 by Yung
Replied by Yung on topic confused by the "Also known as" field
Hi Greg, thanks! The case is exactly what's you've said!
I've changed the language setting to Chinese then the Interactive Chart shows the Given/Surnames as expected.
Also that I'd need to also repeat the surnames in the "Also known as"

BTW, is there any way to limit the language choices in the Language dropdown, by selecting only those meaningful to my visitors?
I know my visitors will use English and Chinese, but not the other languages. And currently Chinese is at the bottom of the list which makes it difficult to select.

Also I have a bunch of Indonesian relatives, and if I can get someone to add a new language translation of Webtree. Where should I start ?

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
8 years 3 days ago #4 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic confused by the "Also known as" field
To restrict language offerings, you simply delete the language file in the language folder. ENGLISH is a required language.
This is covered in the WIKI as one of the methods to reduce hard drive usage.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

More
8 years 2 days ago #5 by JustCarmen
Replied by JustCarmen on topic confused by the "Also known as" field
To restrict languages shown in the menu, you also can go to the control panel: website - languages. Just deselect the languages you don't need.

Carmen
Designer of the JustLight theme (comes with a light and dark color palette), Fancy Imagebar, Fancy Research Links and Fancy Treeview for webtrees 2

Check my website at www.justcarmen.nl

• Yung
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 1 day ago #6 by Yung
Replied by Yung on topic confused by the "Also known as" field
Thanks Carmen. Did that and now it's much cleaner. Thanks for bearing with my novice questions.

I'm now also trying out the different reports and charts.

One problem with the reports is that when saving to PDF, the Chinese characters are cramped as the word spacing is too tight.
The fonts are OK when saved to HTML. Seems there's some problem with the Chinese fonts in PDF generator?

Another problem is when viewing the fan chart, the Chinese characters cannot be shown. Again seems Chinese font problem with the fan chart program?

A third problem is about showing the FAQ, but this time the problem is general and not specific to Chinese fonts.
I've set FAQ "Show to Visitors" in "Control panel / Module administration / Menus"
However if I'm not logged in (ie as a general visitors), I see the FAQ tab in the menu bar but when I click it there is no FAQ shown.
If I login (either as a member or as a administrator), then I can see click to see the FAQ list.
Have I missed any setting?

More
8 years 1 day ago - 8 years 1 day ago #7 by Jackie
Replied by Jackie on topic How to display FAQs?
Hello Yung,

The forum is helpful to all visitors and members. Please one topic per thread. This is to enhance the search results.

As for the display of your FAQs, did you publish them in many languages or only in Chinese?
What is the default language of your website? Chinese?

You need to publish an English FAQ if you want English speakers to see it. If you write a FAQ in Chinese language only Chinese visitors will see it.

EDIT: Stephen and I posted at the same time. :-)
Last edit: 8 years 1 day ago by Jackie.

• ToyGuy
More
8 years 1 day ago #8 by ToyGuy
On the FAQs — Did you set the languages when you saved it? If you want it on a particular language page and want it to appear in English, then you must be displaying the FAQs in English and save the English language via tick mark. Same is true of other translations. If you want English on all languages, I think you set NO language and it will appear by default on all - but I've not used the feature in some time (FAQ module was added to PGV at my request). I think there are instructions on the page.

• ToyGuy
More
8 years 1 day ago #9 by ToyGuy
BTW, you can do the same with HTML blocks on the Welcome Page.