Web based family history software

Question [SOLVED] Best way to add municipal scans

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #1 by Rick
Best way to add municipal scans was created by Rick
Hi,

I have a couple of scans of municipal records with details of all the family members and I have difficulty to choose where to file them.
What would be the best element in WebTrees to file them under?

Regards,
Rick
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Rick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #2 by norwegian_sardines
Replied by norwegian_sardines on topic Best way to add municipal scans
They are a source, therefore create a SOURce record and add the scans to the source. When you use the data from this source by creating a fact, create a source_citation associated with the added fact and connect the citation to the SOURce. Optionally you can add the portion of the scan that relates directly with the fact as an image attached to the source_citation.

Ken

More
7 years 3 months ago #3 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Best way to add municipal scans
Ok, thank you. It makes sense.
I will read the wiki on Sources, Citations and Repositories.

More
7 years 3 months ago #4 by Rick
If I may, I have a follow up question for which I can't quite find the answer in the wiki.

I have added scans of birth/death/marriage certificates (media objects) to events so when you view the Facts and Events tab you will see these scans directly. But now I am doubting whether this the best practice or not. From what I gather from the Sources, Citations and Repository wiki I should consider them as such.
Would you care to give me some advise on this?

Regards,
Rick

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #5 by norwegian_sardines
In my view, a source is a source is a source!

When a fact based newspaper, school research paper, professional journal research article presents its findings they have source material generated out of the research they did and the vetting of that source material for correctness and accuracy, and telling us where to find that material if we want to re-trace the researchers steps.

Genealogy is no different, therefore all source material should be presented to the reader completely and in context. This completeness is the role of the SOURce record, specific fact data then needs to be cited from that source material and as part of the citation (if needed) a helping aid to direct the reader to the exact place in the source when the fact can be found, because in some cases the fact is not directly apparent. Such as a line that says "she was born 5 days later", NOTES must be used to explain the conclusion the writer made based on non-specific data found. These notes belong in the citation pointing to the source.

Most readers fail to check that sources and citations are accurately created and founded in reality and can be reproduced, therefore just believe a written "fact". We as historians, researchers, and scribes must (as teacher always told us) "show our work"! This is, in my opinion, how we should use facts, source_citations, sources and repositories, in the GEDCOM and genealogy world we live in.

Ken

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #6 by norwegian_sardines
One of the reasons I personally require all sources of data to be placed in a SOURce record is so that I can find and retrieve a list of all sources used and the places they can be found. This "record" list becomes a document that anyone reviewing my work can simply find and investigate on their own.

This is the basic design of the GEDCOM "database", all data is stored in an organized and consistent manor.

Ken

More
7 years 3 months ago #7 by Rick
Thank you for your elaboration.

I agree 100% with you about backing up facts with sources. I tried to solve that in webtrees by adding scans to events but you made it clear that using Source and Citations are the best practice. I think I have some work to do on repairing that on my Gedcom :-)

Thank you for taking time to explain, I really appreciate it. Do you happen to know a webtrees app that is build with extensive source citations as an example?

Regards,
Rick

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #8 by Rick
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Rick.

More
7 years 3 months ago #9 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic [SOLVED] Best way to add municipal scans
Problem solved.