Please do NOT post requests for help here. Use the Help forum for that.

TOPIC: One person in two family trees ?

One person in two family trees ? 2 months 1 week ago #1

• Rankhilfe
  • New
Hello,

I have built up a family tree a few years ago and now I started to include data from original church registers of our village starting 1740.

As I work through page by page, I got the idea to write down all pages of this family register of the whole village. To make it easier to offer it to whom it may concern I thought about the possibility to create a second family tree "Familiy register of the village" and then mark theses individuals which belong not only to my family tree, but also to the village family register., and so adding them to the second family tree.

A new user could then get access to the family register, but not to my complete family tree.

Is this a smart idea ?
If yes, does anybody know how to realize it ?
If no, is ther a suggestion how I could open parts of my family tree, but not everything ?

Thanks for your opinions/ideas,

kind regards ...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

One person in two family trees ? 2 months 1 week ago #2

• HonkXL
  • Junior
Hi,
I did this on my tree! As my tree reached 8.000 persons, I exported the GEDCOM. Using a local genealogy software I deleted all persons and familys that came not from this village. Then I imported the GEDCOM to a new tree. At the moment we have around 10.000 persons from only one village in this database.
The INDI-numbers of the persons in my tree are the same as in the other tree. This helps to find persons in some cases.
From time to time I check the two trees for differences in the existing persons. I do this with a tool that can merge and show differences in two GEDCOMs.
My homepage: www.weiland24.de
My webtrees: webtrees.weiland24.de

One person in two family trees ? 2 months 1 week ago #3

• mp
  • Junior
> If no, is ther a suggestion how I could open parts of my family tree, but not everything ?

Trees are independant structures. F.i. the same source you have to insert twice. You can only merge two trees.

Therefore you should use one tree for your family research and another for the "Ortsfamilienbuch". Your family tree you can protect via the privacy settings. At my site I have a similar case at the moment (two trees - one for family research with restriction for visitors, one for a family register which is closed for visitors at the moment).
Martin - ffp.bauschaffen.de
Moderators: makitso