Please do NOT post requests for help here. Use the Help forum for that.

TOPIC: Related by adoption

Related by adoption 1 year 6 months ago #1

• thomas52
  • Frequent
  • Western North Carolina
Periodically I run across another "cousin" who I find is related by adoption only, but still appears on the relationship chart.
A dotted line to show the relationship would be helpful, but otherwise, my options are to remember the adopted relationships or delete them entirely to avoid confusion.
Hopefully, wt 2.0 will give us a better handle on this, but I would like to hear from others how they handle these issues?
"Failure is an amazing teacher." (L'échec est un professeur extraordinaire.)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Related by adoption 1 year 6 months ago #2

• mbeerli
  • New
There are different levels I would think. You might still live with your mother or father or have 2 new parents as the adop. child.
I used to have a diff. software where you could mark that. (see screenshot)

If you would have that feature then it is at least tracked, you could then later choose a dotted to different line for adoption releationships. So is there a different line with 2 new parents?
Attachments:

Related by adoption 1 year 6 months ago #3

• kiwi
  • Platinum
thomas52 wrote:
Periodically I run across another "cousin" who I find is related by adoption only, but still appears on the relationship chart.
A dotted line to show the relationship would be helpful, but otherwise, my options are to remember the adopted relationships or delete them entirely to avoid confusion.
Hopefully, wt 2.0 will give us a better handle on this, but I would like to hear from others how they handle these issues?

But doesn't the relationship chart only show blood links? Are you correctly recording the adopted person, I.e with the use of the ADOP tag for the individual and the family. I wonder if you are actually recording the children in the same way as the birth children?

Ideally an adopted child will have two sets of parents, the birth ones and the adopted ones. Of course the birth parents are often not known, but they do exist and a family tree should reflect that fact.
Nigel

www.our-families.info

Hosted at:
Follow me at:

Related by adoption 1 year 6 months ago #4

• thomas52
  • Frequent
  • Western North Carolina
You will note Orah Jane, the biological dau of Hiram Reynolds, was adopted by her mother's second husband, Frank Adkins (my gg-uncle.)
See www.adkins.ws/individual.php?pid=I293
But Orah Jane's descendants are shown as my cousins, although there is no blood relationship.
See www.adkins.ws/relationship.php?pid1=I001&pid2=I3564
If I'm doing something wrong, I would appreciate someone pointing it out.
"Failure is an amazing teacher." (L'échec est un professeur extraordinaire.)

Related by adoption 1 year 6 months ago #5

• bertkoor
  • Gold
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
The facts seem to be recorded correct: Orah is an adoptive child of Frank. So the relation diagram should show her as "Adoptive daughter" instead of "Daughter", or the relation chart should go through her biological mother, being the spouse of Frank.
I have no idea to what extent webtrees can make that distinction.
stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.9