Please do NOT post requests for help here. Use the Help forum for that.

TOPIC: Upload causes "wheel of death"

Upload causes "wheel of death" 1 year 3 months ago #1

• fritzula
  • New
Hi

First let me apologise if I am in the wrong category but the forum for version 1.6.1 is archived and there did not appear to be anything else appropriate.

My site is ourrelatives.info/webtrees/

Search "william (snr) peacock" (without quotes), click on this individual and then the Media tab.

I attempted to upload a 212KB media file (.jpg) and I have been getting the "wheel of death" for about two and a half hours. Different browsers, same result. Different computer, same result.

php.ini settings:-
post_max_size = 300M
upload_max_filesize = 300M

webtrees version is 1.6.1 which I know is old but I had some problems upgrading. I now understand what has to be done to get a successful upgrade but can not attempt the upgrade until this problem is resolved.

The media log indicates that the upload completed OK but an FTP check shows that the file is not on the server.

Can anyone assist please.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Upload causes "wheel of death" 1 year 3 months ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
> I attempted to upload a 212KB media file (.jpg)

The size of the file (in bytes) is rarely a problem.

The size of the image (in pixels) frequently is.

What is the memory limit (in php.ini)?

Generating thumbnails requires a lot of memory. You need height x width x 4 just to hold the image in memory. For a 4000x3000 photo from a modern digital camera, you need 48MB

You could manually create a thumbnail image (100px wide) using your favourite desktop photo editor, and then copy this to the appropriate thumbnail folder on the server.

> but can not attempt the upgrade until this problem is resolved

Failure to create a thumbnail image shouldn't prevent you from upgrading.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Upload causes "wheel of death" 1 year 3 months ago #3

• fritzula
  • New
Hi

Thank you for replying so quickly.

The image size is 1500px x 1184px.

The memory limit in php.ini is 64 MB.

These both seem to be well within the required parameters.

But in the mean time how do I stop the "wheel of death" at http://ourrelatives/webtrees -> search william (snr) peacock -> click on William (Snr) Peacock -> Media?

Given the information in my original message the problem see to be at the server end within the site.

Regards

Upload causes "wheel of death" 1 year 3 months ago #4

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
The "wheel of death" is (AFAICT) caused by webtrees trying (and failing) to create a thumbnail image.

If not too large, then perhaps corrupt in some way?

Either way, webtrees is failing to generate a thumbnail image.

Later versions of webtrees handle this differently. They try to generate the thumbnail image when the image is viewed, not when the referring page is viewed.

So, your options would seem to be as described in my previous post. Upgrade or manually create/upload the thumbnail.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Upload causes "wheel of death" 1 year 3 months ago #5

• fritzula
  • New
Hi Greg

Thumbnail upload and all is good. So simple like most things in life.

I appreciate the help.