Web based family history software

Question No children tag NCHI

• rocker99
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 3 months ago #1 by rocker99
No children tag NCHI was created by rocker99
As I understand, to record the instance of no children, there is the facility within the GEDCOM spec to use the NCHI tag as follows:

1 NCHI 0

I could also add a note to provide additional information:

1 NCHI 0
2 NOTE No children found up until 1980

My question - Must the NCHI tag be a number?
Could I combine the above like this:

1 NCHI No children found up until 1980

Or is this incorrect interpretation and/or not future proofing?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin
Running latest version at www.familytreehq.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic No children tag NCHI
The GEDCOM specification says this is a number.

webtrees assumes it will be a number.

I use this tag when I have a source that indicates the number of children but does not list them. Typically, an obituary.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #3 by norwegian_sardines
Replied by norwegian_sardines on topic No children tag NCHI
The NCHI tag has two different uses. Based on the GEDCOM standard.

1) As an INDIvidual fact. This use allows for you to enter a NOTE as part of the fact detail. It is a count of all children associated with this individual from all relationships.
2) As a FAMily information tag. This use does not allow for a NOTE. It assumes that it is a count of this family association. (No notes or sources are allowed)

Ken
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by norwegian_sardines.

• rocker99
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 3 months ago #4 by rocker99
Replied by rocker99 on topic No children tag NCHI
Hmmm...

I will need to change my thinking then, because the way I intended to use the tag was in the Family instance, with a Note, exactly as you describe in Option (2).

Kevin
Running latest version at www.familytreehq.com

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #5 by bertkoor
Replied by bertkoor on topic No children tag NCHI
Although the GEDCOM specs say that the NCHI tag in a Family record should only have the number of children and nothing more, webtrees is really lenient and does accept the addition of notes & sources. As far as webtrees is concerned, it's just a fact and thus can be enriched with notes. So if you're not too concerned about strictly adhering to the GEDCOM specs, I'd say you're on the right track!

This construct here:
Code:
1 NCHI 0
will be displayed (& translated) on a family page in webtrees as:

No children
This family remained childless

The second sentence is the result of the "NCHI 0" tag, and when absent would not be shown.
The addition of the note is imho a perfect disclaimer that your research has support for the fact.
You could point to actual sources to back up the claim.

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by bertkoor.

More
5 years 10 months ago #6 by Pierre
Replied by Pierre on topic No children tag NCHI

norwegian_sardines wrote: The NCHI tag has two different uses. Based on the GEDCOM standard.

1) As an INDIvidual fact. This use allows for you to enter a NOTE as part of the fact detail. It is a count of all children associated with this individual from all relationships.
2) As a FAMily information tag. This use does not allow for a NOTE. It assumes that it is a count of this family association. (No notes or sources are allowed)

Thanks Norwegian for this explanation. I still feel unclear why first NCHI in the Fact file as INDIvidual fact is mostly 1 in my IND records, as the second NCHI as FAMily is clear Ok.
Some of my visitors confirmed to me that the first IND NCHI was a bit confusing.
Before I have a complete understanding of the NCHI as INDividual, my aim is to hide it from the Facts zone. I tryed with two ways :

First, with unchecking NCHI in Control Pannel/Family trees/Edit Preference/Facts for Individual records. But no result as hiding this line in the facts Tab.
Second, with deleting the first NCHI line in the Tab.
I now wonder if both procedures could be used as equivalent to hide (only) the NCHI as INDividual in the Facts Tab ? May be delete of the IND/ NCHI line in the Gedcom file when using the second way only ?

Thank you all for the clarification,
With my regards from Alsace, Pierre

Pierre. Ver 1.7.9
Attachments:

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 10 months ago #7 by norwegian_sardines
Replied by norwegian_sardines on topic No children tag NCHI
Pierre,

I am not 100% sure but I think you must enter a value here, it in not calculated.

It is best used when you need to indicate that a person (or family) has a number of children indicated in a source but you have no other information to indicate otherwise.

Ken

More
5 years 10 months ago #8 by Pierre
Ken,

I understand your clarification. Concerning the clearing (hiding) of the different facts of the Tab, or their label, can you confirm if best way id deleting from Facts or using the Control Panel/Family trees, or any of the two ?

Pierre

Pierre. Ver 1.7.9

More
5 years 10 months ago #9 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic No children tag NCHI
If these tags were created automatically by your previous software, then I would delete them.

I only use them when I have a source that says "Person X had N children".

You can delete them using the search/replace function in the "batch update" module.

Use the "regular expression" search, and search for this, and replace with nothing
Code:
\n1 NCHI \d+

This pattern will match a newline character, the text "1 NCHI " and then one or more digits.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #10 by bertkoor
Replied by bertkoor on topic No children tag NCHI

Pierre wrote: Concerning the clearing (hiding) of the different facts of the Tab, or their label, can you confirm if best way id deleting from Facts or using the Control Panel/Family trees, or any of the two ?

That depends on what you want, it's your site and your data.

Deletion will delete them permanently (surprise?)
However if you want to keep these tags visible for yourself but not visible for visitors, you can do that as well.

Pierre wrote: First, with unchecking NCHI in Control Pannel/Family trees/Edit Preference/Facts for Individual records. But no result as hiding this line in the facts Tab.

What you have changed is the list of facts/events that can be added. That has to effect on what already is recorded.
What you should try instead is to put a restriction on them:
* Control Panel - Family Trees - Manage - Privacy - Privacy Restrictions.
* Then Add a restriction for all records (keep blank, can be filled with a specific individual you want to hide), fact = Number of Children, access level = Show to managers (or hide from everyone)

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by bertkoor.

More
5 years 10 months ago #11 by Pierre
Greg, Bert,

I tried both of your 2 suggestions :) they are both working nicely for my actual need. Yes, my imported Gedcom is responsible for both NCHI lines. I got rid of them with restrictions and then I did it by deleting with search and replace. Now I have two alternative possibilities. Perfect.
Thanks

Pierre. Ver 1.7.9