Please do NOT post requests for help here. Use the Help forum for that.

TOPIC: Add disconnected individuals to tree ?

Add disconnected individuals to tree ? 1 year 2 months ago #1

• jhf2442
  • New
During the digging through various archives I found individuals that could - or not - be related to my own tree. Mostly found through their birth or death record (and having the desired last name), but this info is not sufficient to determine where to add them into my family tree.

Rather than finding the correct relationship and determining if they're of relevance or not, I'd like to add them to the webtrees DB, so that I can later connect them to their respective sibling/parent/grandparent... when I find the information

However I found no way to add a disconnected individual. I understand that this is not the way a tree works, as I'm rather starting a new, separated tree.

Not sure if I should start a whole new (dummy) family tree to store those individuals, and how easy it would be to move them accross the trees when needed

Best practice, anyone ?

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Add disconnected individuals to tree ? 1 year 2 months ago #2

• thomas52
  • Frequent
  • Western North Carolina
Control Panel > Family Trees > Manage Family Tree > Add unlinked records > Individual
We all have "orphans" or people we have added because we thought they were connected, but later found not, or might be connected, but can't find the connection, or for other reasons.
"Failure is an amazing teacher." (L'échec est un professeur extraordinaire.)
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by thomas52.

Add disconnected individuals to tree ? 1 year 2 months ago #3

• bertkoor
  • Gold
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
I find the Control Panel method takes too many clicks.

So I create the person as son/daughter of a random family, then (in a separate browser tab) edit the family to remove him/her and make orphanned again.

With some unique last names I have fictional parents (rougly per century) with names like Adam Foobar, Mozes Foobar etc, so I can keep track of the orphans that I'm certain of I can link to other families in the future.
stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.9

Add disconnected individuals to tree ? 1 year 2 months ago #4

• jhf2442
  • New
Sounds good !

I think I'll create people with first name like "city_century" and last name "foobar"