Please do NOT post requests for help here. Use the Help forum for that.

TOPIC: Sample email to non users

Sample email to non users 1 year 1 month ago #1

• dax29
  • New
Hi all

I'm assuming I'm in the same boat as a lot of other site administrators, in that I have 40+ registered users on my site but only a small number are active members.

So I was wondering if there were any forum members who may have in the past sent out creative broadcast emails to users who have never signed in or who have not signed in for 6 months or more to encourage them to participate more.

If so would you be willing to share your ideas or scripts used as previous broadcast emails I have sent have been met with stoney silence.

I look forward to any replies.

Cheers

Dax
Frank (Dax) Kuilboer
Broadwater Qld Australia
familytree.kuilboer.id.au
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Sample email to non users 1 year 1 month ago #2

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
Despite numerous attempts, pleas, and bribery, I've had ZERO effect in soliciting any meaningful increases in participation levels.
Even running a public forum and other forms of communications have been met with disinterest by those that don't already contribute.
400+ users / relatives and about 10 or so that participate annually. More participation when those who don't have their database "reach" highly restricted.
Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com, a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

Sample email to non users 1 year 1 month ago #3

• dax29
  • New
Thanks for the reply 'Santa'. In some ways nice to know others have the same problem.

Our families are having their first ever family reunion in 2020 and I was hoping to get more participation prior, to help with having as much information as possible for showing at the reunion. With our families spread across Australia and The Netherlands I have been trying to get my Dutch relatives in particular involved even to the point of going over there twice in the last 5 years.

Guess I'll just have to keep pleading with them

Cheers
Dax
Frank (Dax) Kuilboer
Broadwater Qld Australia

Sample email to non users 1 year 1 month ago #4

• bertkoor
  • Gold
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
Short version: we're alone. Fact of life.

Longer version: about half of the people that requested an account at my site have never logged in or just once. They might be curious about their ancestors, but won't contribute significantly.
I have a couple of relatives that share an interest in genealogy, but they rather do their work in isolation and build their own tree. Maybe it's got something to do with my site being perceived as my territory and they rather not invade. Also I guess that building your own data is much more rewarding than contributing to someone else's tree.

Personal appeals work better than group emails.
stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.9

Sample email to non users 1 year 1 month ago #5

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
You could try sending out a newsletter, with details of new members, new discoveries and asking for help with problem areas.

I found that people are more willing to send emails with info and pictures than they are to enter it into the website.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Sample email to non users 1 year 1 month ago #6

• dax29
  • New
Hi Bert
I think your short and longer versions responses are spot on. I think over half of my members requested access but have never logged in.

When we were in the Netherlands last year at a family get together we found the older generation weren't interested (although they are the ones with lots of information) but the younger ones were very keen. So some how I'm trying to stimulate and maintain their interest. Not an easy thing.

I have regularly told people it's not my site it belongs to our future generations and its our responsibility to have as much on there as possible.

So I guess I'll just have to keep at it and hope for the best.

Thanks for your feedback.
Cheers
Dax
Frank (Dax) Kuilboer
Broadwater Qld Australia

Sample email to non users 1 year 1 month ago #7

• dax29
  • New
Thanks for the feedback Greg, I do like your newsletter idea and will definately look into that.

I have in the past mentioned to members I'm happy for them to pass on information/photos to me and I'd add them to the site but with limited success.

In the meantime I'll keep plodding away at them all

Cheers
Dax
Frank (Dax) Kuilboer
Broadwater Qld Australia