Web based family history software

Question WordPress and webtrees

• j86schroeder
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 11 months ago #1 by j86schroeder
WordPress and webtrees was created by j86schroeder
I would like to know if it is possible to use a hosted wordpress server in conjunction with webtrees? I've got a few plugins im running on wordpress, just wasn't sure if this webtrees was entirely different.

All i really need the webtrees for is to create a org/flow chart of my ancestors. I want someone to be able to click on the person in the table, and it take them to the tree map, giving them a visual of where that person is in the family, etc.

Thanks,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
4 years 11 months ago #2 by bertkoor
Replied by bertkoor on topic WordPress and webtrees

j86schroeder wrote: I would like to know if it is possible to use a hosted wordpress server in conjunction with webtrees?

Likely yes.

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13

More
4 years 11 months ago #3 by markus
Replied by markus on topic WordPress and webtrees

Best regards /Markus
webtrees 2.1.x + several addons

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 11 months ago #4 by bertkoor
You might want to link to the HourGlass chart, eg from the demo site:
dev.webtrees.net/demo-stable/hourglass.p...ions=3&show_spouse=1

• j86schroeder
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 11 months ago #5 by j86schroeder
Replied by j86schroeder on topic WordPress and webtrees
Soundsgood thanks. I sent Greg a message. I wonder how you install it and how easily it is to change the format? and enter in the data?

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 11 months ago #6 by bertkoor

j86schroeder wrote: I wonder how you install it

For instance you can create a folder "webtrees" within your public_html folder and unzip the contents of the latest release zip file there.
Then visit with your internet browser yourdomain.com/webtrees and it will guide you through the setup & configuration.
Database tables will be created (you need to supply credentials, same DB as used for the rest of your site can be used)
Then it should be up & running.

j86schroeder wrote: and how easily it is to change the format? and enter in the data?

Entering data is not difficult. You can try it at the demo site after logging in as editor.

Changing the format can be done by creating a custom theme. Best is to start with a theme that most resembles how you want it to look. Copy that to a new theme folder, test whether it works (probably requires some small changes to theme id's & names first) and change whatever you want.

Good luck! Feel free to ask more questions...

• j86schroeder
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 11 months ago #7 by j86schroeder
Replied by j86schroeder on topic WordPress and webtrees
Thanks, I actually have it already up and running, but not sure the next step? I guess what I would have to do is just leave it as the default theme, and copy that them over to a new theme folder, then edit that to remove everything but the hourglass chart, and compact tree chart, as i don't really care about the rest of the stuff. It is nice, but its too much detail for what I am wanting to show.

Where can I find more information on entering the data? I logged as the webtrees editor for my site, and I can change the default theme, but don't really see other options then that such as entering the data records.

Or how hard is it to take the values I've already got entered in? from the mainpage? johnschroeder.family

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #8 by norwegian_sardines
Replied by norwegian_sardines on topic WordPress and webtrees
When you ask: "Where can I find more information on entering the data?"

Did you look at the Wiki ? The developers and users of webtrees have worked hard to write guides on the wiki for using this program and I think everything yo need to know is written there. If you don't understand something ask a specific question.

Most users of webtrees either start with an imported GEDCOM from some other genealogy software, -or- they just start entering information starting with either themselves or with some logical starting point like a common ancestor and navigate through the family connections.

Ken
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by norwegian_sardines.