Web based family history software

Question Worldwide Family - how do we delegate access ?

• mcassuto
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 8 months ago #1 by mcassuto
Hello all,

Here my use case.

As a lot of us, our family name is spread all over the world... we do not kow (yet) if we share the same ancestors however it should be interested to start the different trees and at some point, if we can find common members, we merge them.
This would be easy to do by creating isolated members in a same family, and each related user will start is tree from his member => easy.

My question is : how could we delegate access to be sure :
1/ a tree member can not modify members of another tree ?
2/ some information may become confidential, how do we restrict their accesses ?

Regards,
Marc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Worldwide Family - how do we delegate access ?
> 1/ a tree member can not modify members of another tree ?

This is the default.

A member can only edit a tree if you give them permission to edit it.

> 2/ some information may become confidential, how do we restrict their accesses ?

You can add a "Privacy restriction" to a record. (Or to a fact).

The privacy restrction can say "only show to members" or "only show to admins".

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #3 by bertkoor
Replied by bertkoor on topic Worldwide Family - how do we delegate access ?
You say "in a same family", but I think in webtrees terms this means it's one tree.

[edit] now I'm not sure whether you create a tree for each editor, or you want them to work in one tree. Working in isolated trees has the benefit of easy access restriction, but you won't see it when multiple editors are working on the same ancestors. [/edit]

1. This cannot be done in webtrees, unless you make separate trees for each of the family branches. But then you won't have the bonus when you found the common ancestor and have the branches linked together.
It's also about trusting your editors that they don't vandalise records they should not be touching. Maybe let them sign a simple contract "I promise not to edit record I'm not supposed to" or "For all information I contribute there is a trustworthy source to which I will provide accreditation". It could also be a simple Terms & Conditions page on your FAQ page, silently agreed upon, and when they violate it you can revoke access.

2. Is easy: restrict access to private individuals within n steps of their own record. You can put confidentiality "show to Admin only" on certain records & events, but then no other editor can read it.
Further reading on the subject in case you haven't found it already: wiki.webtrees.net/en/Access_and_Privacy
Just ask here if anything specific needs further explanation or tailored advice.

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by bertkoor.

• mcassuto
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 8 months ago #4 by mcassuto
Replied by mcassuto on topic Worldwide Family - how do we delegate access ?
1/ Berkoor : you were right my idea was to create multiple trees from isolated individuals.

Another, solution would be to create separate families : when a common ancestor is found, we transfer all the records from one family to another one and merge the common one(s)

But still it raises the confidentiality question.

2/ thanks to both of you, I will dig into it.

Please close the subject if you have nothing to add.