Please do NOT post requests for help here. Use the Help forum for that.

TOPIC: Simple bulk geocode?

Simple bulk geocode? 1 week 5 days ago #1

• WGroleau
  • Gold
I downloaded my locations as geoJSON. It was simple to remove all but the place names, and they are already in a format usable by www.gpsvisualizer.com/geocoder/

That is a quick way to get coordinates for about one name per second. Putting the results back in the original geoJSON format would also be simple.

Unfortunately, for many of the items, it returns the coordinates of the center of USA.

Is there a more reliable service that is easier to use? I find quite a few downloadable open-source items, but they all seem to require more setup and build operations than I am willing to do.
--
Wes Groleau
UniGen.us/
PHP 7.2.15; MySQL 5.6.40; Apache
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Simple bulk geocode? 1 week 2 days ago #2

• WGroleau
  • Gold
WGroleau wrote:
I downloaded my locations as geoJSON. It was simple to remove all but the place names, and they are already in a format usable by www.gpsvisualizer.com/geocoder/

That is a quick way to get coordinates for about one name per second. Putting the results back in the original geoJSON format would also be simple.

Narrowly missed a major screw-up. In my export, all may coordinates were [0,0] except one. Fortunately, just before re-import, I happened to see that this one was "wrong." Not really, but the geoJSON format for whatever reason puts the longitude before the latitude. Had to reverse my formatting, swap them, and format again.
--
Wes Groleau
UniGen.us/
PHP 7.2.15; MySQL 5.6.40; Apache
The administrator has disabled public write access.