Web based family history software

Question I am new, but moved a large genealogy to WebTrees

• Ginsights
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 2 days ago #1 by Ginsights
Where can I find a WebTrees manual
I was able to move a large GED file to webtrees, hosted as Wiederhold.org/Wiederholdree
but now cannot edit or even replace it
Thanks for a pointer
Gio

/gio/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 2 days ago #2 by norwegian_sardines
Replied by norwegian_sardines on topic I am new, but moved a large genealogy to WebTrees
Did you install the older version 1 or the newer version 2?

The WIKI is a place to start to get some general help, it was written by volunteer users for the earlier releases version 1.

Version 2 is rather new and does not have (as far as I know) any WIKI entries.

When you install webtrees you create a master user and password. You can use that password to create additional users. Users are then given rights to edit information. Once the user is signed into webtrees the edit rights are then available. Visitors (a type of user) are not given rights to do edits.

Ken

• Ginsights
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 2 days ago #3 by Ginsights
I did not have to install it. It is available on GoDaddy, So I could just become a user.
And I was able to load a large GED file into it, and it can be used.

But now I am looking for a user manual or equivalent.
I want to know how to make edits, or replace the entire database with a new version.

Then I will have less need to use this forum
Thanks
Gio

/gio/

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 1 day ago #4 by norwegian_sardines
Replied by norwegian_sardines on topic I am new, but moved a large genealogy to WebTrees
Sorry, maybe someone else can help you! Most people do the install themselves and have control over their administrators userid and password. If you don’t know these values you will need to consult the individual who installed your copy of the software.

Still.... The Wiki found on this site ( see the menu above) is the best place to learn about webtrees.

My webtrees site is hosted on my own server, as far as I know you can do your own install on GoDaddy and set your administrator userid and password when you do the install. If the site was built already for you by GoDaddy without you selecting the administrator then I’m at a loss for getting you an access login.

Ken

• bertkoor
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
4 years 1 day ago #5 by bertkoor
If you were able to load a GEDCOM file, that means you have admin privileges.
It also means you've been at the webtrees Control Panel already.
That's the place where you can create, delete and replace trees.

Editing (persons, families) is a whole different subject.
Maybe you're a "round-tripper" (edit in another program and use webtrees only for web publishing)
then you only need to know how to update the GEDCOM (via the Control Panel)

Most things are straight forward though... More info:

webtrees.net/faq/
wiki.webtrees.net/en/

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13

• Ginsights
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 1 day ago #6 by Ginsights
There is no manual?
When in web trees I see 6 icons: a house, charts, lists, calendar, reports, search
How do I get to the control panel you mention?
Gio

/gio/

More
4 years 1 day ago #7 by drblam

Ginsights wrote: There is no manual?
When in web trees I see 6 icons: a house, charts, lists, calendar, reports, search
How do I get to the control panel you mention?
Gio

You need to log in first. Otherwise you are just a visitor with read-only access to a restricted set of items. How you do that depends on whether you are using webtrees 1.7.x or webtrees 2.0.x. The page layouts are visibly different between the two: 1.7.x pages are more-tightly packed, whereas 2.0.x has a lot of white space. You can see what 2.0 looks like by clicking the "Demo" icon at the top of this forum page. Otherwise, the easiest way I know to see what version you are running is to look at the bottom margin of a Report. (Click on Report icon, select "births", say, and don't bother to fill in any options. The bottom margin of the page will show the version number.

• bertkoor
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
4 years 1 day ago #8 by bertkoor

Ginsights wrote: There is no manual?

This here (in the wiki) comes closest:

wiki.webtrees.net/en/Getting_Started
wiki.webtrees.net/en/Administration_pages

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13

• Ginsights
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 1 day ago #9 by Ginsights
I found a control panel via My pages on top. When I go there i see two entries for my tree.
But when I click in them I just go back to the page that shows my tree.
How can I upload a new tree?
I could not find anything relevant in the wiki.webtrees.net/en admistration pages. I don't know how to get to them either. The slides just should how to use the tree.

Gio

/gio/

More
4 years 1 day ago #10 by drblam

Ginsights wrote: I could not find anything relevant in the wiki.webtrees.net/en admistration pages. I don't know how to get to them either. The slides just should how to use the tree.

That's surprising. Bertkoor gave you TWO links. The first is a basic user guide for Getting Started, and the second is an administration guide. It sounds like you only looked at the first link, because the second guide definitely shows how to upload a new tree here

These pages are NOT part of your installation. You access them from the "Wiki" icon at the top of this forum page. Note that the sample image of the admin page is quite old (you can see version 1.2.3 in the upper right corner). Your admin page probably looks quite different. Here is what it looks like in my 1.7.x installation. (2.0.x may be different yet again).

I got here from the "Family Trees" dropdown menu 3rd from the left along the top of the screen.
Attachments:

More
4 years 14 hours ago #11 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic I am new, but moved a large genealogy to WebTrees
> How can I upload a new tree?

Do you want to

1) create another tree
2) replace the data in an existing tree

To create a new tree, go to the control panel. In the section "Family trees" you will see a link "Create a family tree".

Next, to upload a GEDCOM file into a family tree, go to the control panel. In the section "Family trees" you will see a list of your trees. Click the name. The next page should give you lots of options to manage this tree. For example, preferences, privacy, etc. One of the options is "Import". Select that, and you'll be able to upload a GEDCOM file.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net