Web based family history software

Question Can't access the wiki

More
3 years 10 months ago #1 by edsch
Can't access the wiki was created by edsch
Hi. I just started using webtrees, and like it a lot. But I can't access the wiki. When I click on the Wiki icon in the forum, it takes me to webtrees.net , not wiki.webtrees.net. Similarly, searching for a topic in the home page search box gives me lots of helpful-sounding wiki links, but clicking on them just leads me back to the home page. Is it just me, or is the wiki broken?

I'm using the latest Chrome on the latest Windows.

Thanks in advance,

-Ed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 10 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Can't access the wiki
The wiki was turned off a few days ago.
See github.com/fisharebest/webtrees/issues/3285
Much of the content was outdated.
Many of the translated pages were not updated.

The media-wiki software itself was also outdated, and there were problems to update it. (There were actually 4 wiki sites with some shared tables to facilitate a single login across all 4 sites, and this setup isn't working with the latest software).

Redirects were set up, so that any bookmarks to wiki pages should redirect to the most relevant page on the new site.

I'm writing new pages as I get time, and as people ask questions that need longer answers...

I've updated the menu links above.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
3 years 10 months ago #3 by Elvin
Replied by Elvin on topic Can't access the wiki
There's an old version of the wiki archived on the Wayback Machine: web.archive.org/web/20190604183602/https...ees.net/en/Main_Page

It will refer to 1.7 only so while it will provide some guidance, you'll need to be careful to ensure it applies to 2.0. You should be looking at the documentation available from the new Docs menu and only go back to the archive if what you want isn't there yet.

John Elvin

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 10 months ago #4 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Can't access the wiki
> There's an old version of the wiki archived on the Wayback Machine:

I made an offline/static version of the wikis before I took them offline.

github.com/webtrees/old-wiki

You can't read it online - you'll need to download it to your computer and browse it locally.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net