Please do NOT post requests for help here. Use the Help forum for that.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

When do we lock questions 2 months 2 weeks ago #1

• trejder
  • trejder's Avatar Topic Author
I just wanted to clarify, because my intentions were incorrectly understood in this thread:

www.webtrees.net/index.php/en/forum/help...1-7-17-under-php-7-4

But today, after logging-in, I hit the wall with question being locked and not accepting new answers.

Never happened to me before, so I'd like to ask, if we have some new policy of locking some questions or was it just a mistake that this one was locked?

If we have some policy then is it somewhere written down, to learn under what conditions a question can be locked? Would like to get familiar with that. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When do we lock questions 2 months 2 weeks ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
there is no policy. i do not know why this discussion is locked.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

When do we lock questions 2 months 2 weeks ago #3

I locked the thread. In my opinion, the issue was dealt with and not going anywhere with continued comments.
Rob
www.skatekey.net ( beta GitHub)
PHP 7.4.6, MariaDB 10.1.44, Apache 2.4.43,
Hosted at tigertech.net

When do we lock questions 2 months 1 week ago #4

• trejder
  • trejder's Avatar Topic Author
As for this topic -- on locking questions -- I'd say that I am here, in this forum, for about 2-3 years and I learnt that questions can be locked only now. I thought that we don't have and don't need such tools here. I thought that we have a policy and will of speaking freely on any topic and as long as you want.

I also find functionality of locking threads not needed at all. A feature that brings no good and no value, but can bring a lot of misunderstandings and bad feelings (as in this case). I live my live with the assumption that, if we don't know what to do we should learn from better ones, bigger, more experienced. Let's do the same this time. Let's look at a far bigger and more experienced forum like Stack Exchange network. They do have lock thread functionality, but the use it in a very, very rare and specific situations. I've spent years there, having hundreds of questions and answers in many network's sites and hit the wall with locked thread maybe 2-3 times. Even with totally off-topic and closed questions you only can't add new answers, but you still can comment. It is nearly never that your mouths are shut totally there.

If this is possible, I would be super-happy, if you could avoid closing or locking my threads in future. As I find it not needed and a little bit too rude. Maybe I am too old, but I find it quite very similar into shutting someone's mouth only because you think that someone has nothing else to add (while you still may be very wrong, as in this case).

As for the linked topic (the one that was locked), in my opinion it was certainly not over. Both yours and Greg's answers were made on a completely wrong assumption that I want Greg or someone else to do anything. I don't want. I wanted to clarify that all I want is to know, if that particular issue (titled in that topic) was ever researched and was reported or at least noticed previously by anyone or was I the first person. In the PAST, i.e. if there are any existing reports on this issue.

I didn't want Greg to research anything or do at all anything for me. I only wanted him to share some knowledge on particular issue, if he had something. I didn't want anyone to do anything for me, not only because we have COVID or lockdown, but because this is rude in first place. I have plans to do my research on this issue entirely on my own. I just didn't want to invent the wheel again. That's why I asked there.

And I wanted to wish Greg a nice and happy scuba diving! :)

When do we lock questions 2 months 1 week ago #5

@trejder

With all due respect:

Your original topic was titled "Cannot add any media in webtrees 1.7.17 under PHP 7.4"
This question was answered several times by saying that webtrees 1.7.17 does not support PHP 7.4.

In Greg's response he said that "the problem is not simply to update the webtrees code. There are lots of third party libraries that do not support php 7.4"

In your original thread you asked these questions:

Q1: Is there anything known about it (that 1.7.17 can cause such behavior under PHP 7.4)? Is there anything I can do about this (except migration to 2.x branch)?

A: Greg's response was: "the problem is not simply to update the webtrees code. There are lots of third party libraries that do not support php 7.4"

Q2: Is this just a tiny bug, that causes empty response in PHP 7.4, that I could fix myself, and that is only not fixed, because general support for 1.7.x is over? Or is this a half-webtrees recoding from scratch to make this fixed? And migration to 2.x is the only option?

A: How would or could anyone answer this question without looking through all the above mentioned code -- and, Greg is the only person with the skills to do this analysis.

Q3: I was more like interested in (and only to feed my curiosity) in this single part that I have touched. Were you aware about getting empty result in "Add media" popup for PHP 7.4? Do you have any idea what can be causing it and how big coding challenge would be a possible change?

A: How would or could anyone answer this question without looking through all the above mentioned code -- and, Greg is the only person with the skills to do this analysis.

Q4: I was more like asking, if you have any idea why this particular issue (adding media under PHP 7.4) fails? And if there is any chance to estimate work effort needed to fix this particular bug? To rewrite add_media.php to make it compatible with PHP 7.4.

Q5: I wanted to clarify that all I want is to know, if that particular issue (titled in that topic) was ever researched and was reported or at least noticed previously by anyone or was I the first person. In the PAST, i.e. if there are any existing reports on this issue.

Did you search the forum posts for this question? If you find no hits that answers the question.
Rob
www.skatekey.net ( beta GitHub)
PHP 7.4.6, MariaDB 10.1.44, Apache 2.4.43,
Hosted at tigertech.net

Last edit: by makitso.
  • Page: