Web based family history software

Question N’th cousins calculations are wrong for Italian

• AlexKalopsia
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #1 by AlexKalopsia
Hi everyone,

today I was investigating an issue with WebTrees where the N’th cousins calculation is seemingly wrong. I initially thought this was a translation issue, but then in Functions.php I found:
Code:
/* I18N: Note that for Italian and Polish, “N’th cousins” are different from English “N’th cousins”, and the software has already generated the correct “N” for your language. You only need to translate - you do not need to convert. For other languages, if your cousin rules are different from English, please contact the developers. */

Now, I am not fully sure who did this custom solution for Italian, but it's just wrong (and confirmation can be found here, a post from 3 years ago lol www.webtrees.net/index.php/en/forum/8-tr...ni-in-italiano#66929 ).

From Wikipedia

Traditionally, in Italy people define their "degree" of N’th cousins in relation to their descendance from the uncles:

The 1st cousin is the child of an uncle.
The "procugino" is the child of a great-uncle or, alternatively, the child of a cousin.
The 2nd cousin is the child of a cousin's child or, alternatively, the child of a great-uncle's child. In other words, the child of a 1st cousin.
The 3rd cousin is the child of a 2nd cousin or, alternatively, the child of a great-great-uncle's child.

With this in mind, here is what the current calculation is doing:

Note how clearly wrong it is that adding an extra generation makes the graph go from 3rd to 2nd, and not the other way around.

I am a bit surprised that the rest of the italian webtrees community accepted this, but it would really be great if this could be rectified. I can contribute to the code myself, if that is deemed necessary to push the fix.

Thanks!
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by AlexKalopsia.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.