Please do NOT post requests for help here. Use the Help forum for that.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Aside on privacy 5 days 20 hours ago #1

• WGroleau
  • WGroleau's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I appreciate the privacy features of webtrees. I hope they don't go away, even though they don't really make much difference these days. It was almost disappointing how quickly and easily I could build an extended family of people I haven't met from ONLY clues found in Facebook! (Names, birthdates, relationships, and more)
--
Wes Groleau
UniGen.us/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by WGroleau.

Aside on privacy 5 days 10 hours ago #2

• ungeahnt

... even though they don't really make much difference these days ...

tststs ... always look on the bright side of life ;):

Some people care about their health and go for checkups, others do not. One of the two groups will most likely die an earlier and possibly more painful death.
Dieter
Schmidt ⚭ Schwab (Sudetenland) | Hauer ⚭ Bühler (Bayern / BW) | Маринов ⚭ Шаламанова (BG)
webtrees 2.0.17 | PHP 7.4 | MariaDB 10.3.27 | Apache 2.4 | Debian 4.19.181-1 (2021-03-19) x86_64

Aside on privacy 5 days 9 hours ago #3

• JustCarmen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
The difference between the data of a random individual on Facebook and the same data of this individual in webtrees is, that on Facebook the person has entered the data SELF and has chosen to make this information public. When YOU use their public Facebook data in webtrees, you still have to deal with privacy rules. So you can't make that same information public and that's why the privacy features in webtrees are still very valuable.

Carmen
Designer of the JustLight theme (comes with a light and dark color palette), Fancy Imagebar and Fancy Research Links for webtrees 2

Check my website at www.justcarmen.nl

Aside on privacy 5 days 4 hours ago #4

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
> I appreciate the privacy features of webtrees. I hope they don't go away

I have lots of plans for webtrees. None of them involve changing the privacy features...
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Aside on privacy 4 days 23 hours ago #5

• WGroleau
  • WGroleau's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

The difference between the data of a random individual on Facebook and the same data of this individual in webtrees is, that on Facebook the person has entered the data SELF and has chosen to make this information public. When YOU use their public Facebook data in webtrees, you still have to deal with privacy rules. So you can't make that same information public and that's why the privacy features in webtrees are still very valuable.

Not completely. Most people don't know they're entering private information on themselves AND on others (without asking those others). And Facebook doesn't want them to know. Moreover, Facebook ignores complaints about actual phishing scams. In two cases where I tried to warn people of a phishing scam, Facebook censored me saying I was spamming. But like I said, I am in favor of resisting the intrusions, however futile it might be.
--
Wes Groleau
UniGen.us/

• Page: