Web based family history software

Question How to denote individual staying in the hospital

• trejder
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 11 months ago #1 by trejder
Is there any suggested way to denote individual staying in the hospital, other than introducing own tag?
Code:
0 HEAD 1 SOUR PAF 2 VERS 2.1 1 DEST ANSTFILE 1 SUBM @5@ 1 GEDC 2 VERS 5.2 1 SCHEMA 2 INDI 3 BIRT 4 _HOSP 5 LABL HOSPITAL 5 DEFN The name of a hospital 5 ISA SITE
Source: user.it.uu.se/~andersa/gedcom/ch2.html#tsample

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #2 by norwegian_sardines
Replied by norwegian_sardines on topic How to denote individual staying in the hospital
Based on the snippet of GEDCOM code you provided you are providing an old GEDCOM structure.

In GEDCOM v5.5.1 this tag has been eliminated.

If you are wanting to add an Event that states a person was hospitalized I would add a EVENt with a TYPE HOSPITALIZED and provide place and date information. Coded as a GEDCOM it would like the following in the individual (INDI record):

1 EVEN
2 TYPE HOSPITALIZED
2 DATE <date of hospitalization >
2 PLAC <hospital name, place>

Ken
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by norwegian_sardines.

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #3 by bertkoor
Is it a birth and prolongued stay?
Perhaps this:
Code:
1 BIRT 2 DATE 12 MAR 2 PLAC BigCity 2 ADDR Name of Hospital, Street 1 RESI 2 DATE UNTIL JUN 2 PLAC BigCity 2 ADDR Name of Hospital, Street

There's also the custom tag _MEDI for medical conditions, but you can just add a note to the birth to write down the story.

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by bertkoor.

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 11 months ago #4 by norwegian_sardines
Replied by norwegian_sardines on topic How to denote individual staying in the hospital
If the stay in the hospital was because they were born in that hospital, but born premature, or had some condition that required an extended stay of several months, then I would enter this GEDCOM:

1 BIRT
2 DATE <birth date>
2 PLAC <hospital name>, <city, country>

1 FACT Newborn Intensive Care Unit
2 TYPE HOSPITAL STAY
2 DATE FROM … TO …
2 PLAC <hospital name>, <city, country>

Ken

• trejder
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #5 by trejder
No, my question has nothing to do with staying at the hospital after birth, but rather about a mature individual staying at hospital for a few weeks for medical reasons.

As for my main question, I already have an answer, thank you. But, I'd like to shift this discussion a little bit, because you really surprised me, norwegian_sardines.

I should use... FACT? Not EVEN?

I am in the middle of (manually) replacing all (nearly) my FACTs to EVENs, because years ago I was told that I did that wrong. That FACTs has no date and denotes something about someone that generally doesn't change during most or whole of individual's life. Like green eyes or blood type. I was told that I should always use EVENs that has date and are perfect for denoting things taking just a small part of individual's life -- like staying at the hospital etc.

So... what is the general difference between FACT and EVEN and when should I use which?
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by trejder.

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #6 by Peter_S

So... what is the general difference between FACT and EVEN and when should I use which?

In the GEDCOM standard 5.5.1 you will find following description:
"As a general rule, events are things that happen on a specific date. Use the date form ‘BET date AND date’ to indicate that an event took place at some time between two dates. Resist the temptation to use a ‘FROM date TO date’ form in an event structure. If the subject of your recording occurred over a period of time, then it is probably not an event, but rather an attribute or fact.
Supplemental Attributes or Facts:
Sometimes other attributes or facts are used to describe an individual's actions, physical description, employment, education, places of residence, etc. These are not generally thought of as events. However, they are often described like events because they were observed at a particular time and/or place. GEDCOM 5.x lists these attributes under the <<INDIVIDUAL_ATTRIBUTE_STRUCTURE>> and allows them to be recorded in the same way as events. The attribute definition allows a value on the same line as the attribute tag. In addition, it allows a subordinate date period, place and/or address, etc. to be transmitted, just as the events are."

Peter

webtrees 2.1.19, vesta modules, chart modules of magicsunday, extended family and imprint of hartenthaler
PHP 8.2.4, MariaDB 10.3.38
Webhosting: genonline.de
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Peter_S.

• trejder
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #7 by trejder
Thank you for your clarification and citing corresponding GEDCOM manual. It seems that I was clearly wrong.

However (maybe due to the fact how these two words translates to my native Polish language) I am still very reluctant in using FACT tags for denoting something that has anything to do with the dates and periods. For me a fact is a fact. Having dark hairs, blue eyes or second spleen is a fact. Spending time in a hospital is an event, not a fact and it doesn't matter that it took three weeks and did not occur on a single date. Again, maybe this is how it translate to Polish -- we do have events running many days (weeks, month, years) and by no mean it does make them fact. In Polish, we say that IIWW was a fact only when we're saying that there was such thing. But, when we start talking about "something that happened BET 1 SEP 1939 AND 9 MAY 1945" then we certainly are talking (at least in Polish) about five and a half year long event.

So, even knowing that I am clearly violating GEDCOM rules, I think I'll stay with denoting hospitals (and other events) with EVEN and attributes and facts with FACT. Thank you.
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by trejder.

More
1 year 11 months ago #8 by Peter_S
Hello trejder,

in the end, it's up to you. Whether you use an event tag or a fact tag makes no difference on the user interface and both tags have the same substructure of tags.

Peter

webtrees 2.1.19, vesta modules, chart modules of magicsunday, extended family and imprint of hartenthaler
PHP 8.2.4, MariaDB 10.3.38
Webhosting: genonline.de

More
1 year 11 months ago #9 by miqrogroove
Replied by miqrogroove on topic How to denote individual staying in the hospital
Consider just adding a Residence rather than a custom tag?

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 11 months ago #10 by norwegian_sardines
Personally I would not use Residence in this case, unless this was their official home, where for instance the person would put the address on a government document or they intended to live there for more than half a year AND had no other permanent address. If this was not really a hospital stay due to an injury but a hospital like setting such as a “nursing home” or convalescing location then this would be their residence.

Just my opinion, it is your database you could do what ever you think is correct when you list/report information at a later time!

Ken