Please do NOT post requests for help here. Use the Help forum for that.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Merge 2 x .ged files? 2 weeks 22 hours ago #1

• Covis
  • Covis's Avatar Topic Author
Hello, Using V1.7.1.7 (I know oldie but I like it)

Is it possible to merge 2 x .ged files?

senario:... A man has Family tree = (file name) "TREEA.ged" ......and he meets a Lady who has a Family tree= (file name) "TREEB.ged"
They Marry and want to merge "A" and "B" .ged files in webtrees to make complete tree. Is this possible? Or would you have to Manually insert every individual from one tree into the other?

I'm guessing there is a way ... hopefully.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Merge 2 x .ged files? 2 weeks 17 hours ago #2

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
Sure. The purpose of gedcom files is data interchange. Files produced with v2 can be read by v1.x without problems.
stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13

Merge 2 x .ged files? 2 weeks 14 hours ago #3

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Yes, there is a merge option in webtrees (both versions 1 and 2). You will find it in the control panel.

Note that this appends one tree to another. If you have the same individuals in both trees, you will need to merge them afterwards.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Merge 2 x .ged files? 2 weeks 12 hours ago #4

• Covis
  • Covis's Avatar Topic Author
Thankz Mate. It was easy. I just didn't look properly in the Control Panel.

Last edit: by Covis.

Merge 2 x .ged files? 2 weeks 8 hours ago #5

Yes, there is a merge option in webtrees (both versions 1 and 2). You will find it in the control panel.

Note that this appends one tree to another. If you have the same individuals in both trees, you will need to merge them afterwards.

From my experience combining gedcoms using webtrees, it will be much less work if you eliminate the doubles before merging, if possible. Keep in mind that for some of your doubles it may be easier to combine them after merging the gedcoms if there is a lot of unique information in each profile (person), webtrees has a nice feature that allows picking and choosing when combining multiples of the same person. If the information between doubles is the same for each it will probably save you some work to remove a known double(s) before the merge. Also a good practice to have a backup of your gedcoms before merging.
Running webtrees Version 1.7.20 on local 32-bit PuppyLinux box, Hiawatha Version 10.8.7, PHP 7.2.7, MySQL Version 10.1.34-MariaDB
Running webtrees 2.017 @CrazyHosting, Apache Version 2.4.54, PHP 7.3.33, MySQL Version 10.3.35-MariaDB-log-cll-lve

• Page: