This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.2.x). For issues related to beta or svn version please use their own Help forum.
When requesting help please provide as much information as possible. Explain what version of webtrees, PHP and MYSQL you are using. If possible provide a URL to your site so we can see the problem first-hand.
Tip: Think about putting these details in your signature, so it appears in the footer of ALL your messages
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lightbox not working in IE9 8 years 11 months ago #1

• JustCarmen
  • JustCarmen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I just discovered the lightbox album module is not working in IE9. In other browsers (firefox, chrome but also IE8) it is just working fine.
In IE9 images are loading in the browser tab in stead of in the lightbox popup.

Is this a known issue? and maybe is there a solution?

Carmen
Designer of the JustLight theme and Fancy Imagebar for webtrees 2.x

Also designer of the JustBlack theme and the other Fancy modules for webtrees 1.x

Check my website at www.justcarmen.nl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Lightbox not working in IE9 8 years 11 months ago #2

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
IIFC, This is a browser setting, not a webtrees setting or problem with IE9. Check you javascript settings first (or are you talking PDF's?). If PDF's there is another setting to open in a browser window or in an application like Adobe reader.
Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

Re: Lightbox not working in IE9 8 years 11 months ago #3

• JustCarmen
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I am talking about images and no, it is not a javascript setting. I have javascript turned on in IE9.

I visited the lightbox and clearbox homepages just to see of example images on those pages will open as expected and there everything works fine.

I enabled error tracking in IE9 and noticed that this browser is falling over a script rule in clsource_music.js.

I get this error (in dutch):
SCRIPT5007: Kan de waarde van de eigenschap match niet ophalen: het object is null of niet gedefinieerd
clsource_music.js, regel 2037 teken 4

I will try to translate this:
SCRIPT5007: Can not get the value of the property match: the object is null or not defined
clsource_music.js, regel 2037 sign 4

I looked in that script rule and there i found this:
if (document.styleSheets[i].href.match("clearbox.css")) {

clearbox.css does not exist but that should not be a problem so I have no idea why IE9 is falling over this line.

But I can't be the only one with this problem. Strange.

Any ideas?

Carmen

Also designer of the JustBlack theme and the other Fancy modules for webtrees 1.x

Re: Lightbox not working in IE9 8 years 11 months ago #4

• kiwi
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

clearbox.css does not exist but that should not be a problem so I have no idea why IE9 is falling over this line.

But I can't be the only one with this problem. Strange.

Not sure anyone would know why IE browsers do many of the things they do :-))

I'm not surprised there is (another) js problem with IE. We did fix a couple a while ago, but we have two problems preventing much focus on the issue:
  1. None of the developers use IE (the reason you might be the only one experiencing it is that you might be the only person still using IE :-)) )
  2. The lightbox code needs replacing. It hasn't been updated since PGV days. We would like, when time permits, to replace it (along with most of the media code).
Meanwhile, you should raise a bug report, at least so the issue is logged.

We undertake to ensure webtrees works well with all the major open-source browsers. Anything else we look at when we have nothing better to do.

In the short term you may need to prioritise between IE and lightbox. If you NEED IE, then turn lightbox off (remove the module). If you NEED lightbox, use a better browser.
Nigel

www.our-families.info

Hosted at:
Follow me at:

Re: Lightbox not working in IE9 8 years 11 months ago #5

• JustCarmen
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
You got me wrong because I myself never use IE. I simply hated the fact this ugly browser still exists ;). I am a (hobby) web designer so I know that at the end there is always a problem with IE. I use firefox as my main browser.

But at the end of a design (yes, my justblack theme for webtrees is almost ready and will be posted here soon) I always test a website in Internet Explorer. Because most visitors of our websites are not aware of the fact that there are much better browsers out there and still sticking to IE as there main browser.

And I think a website must look good with all functionalities for all visitors and users in all browsers. So that is why I was testing my site in IE yesterday.

I agree with you that lightbox should be replaced. There are much better imageviewers out there nowadays. I tried it myself a while ago but it is not so easy in webtrees to replace lightbox because the whole album module depends on it. So I understand that is on your wish-list but also that it will take a while before someone finds the time for this.

But in the mean time I will report this as a bug and be sorry for all the IE-users who will not be able to see the images in a convenient way...

Carmen

Re: Lightbox not working in IE9 8 years 11 months ago #6

• kiwi
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I agree with you that lightbox should be replaced.

Just for clarity, the lightbox/album module "might" need improvement and/or replacement, but that is not what I meant to say. It is the entire media system that needs replacing, not just the "gloss" at the end of the process.

And I think a website must look good with all functionalities for all visitors and users in all browsers.

Unfortunately that is neither practical (there are well over 50 browsers!) nor is it webtrees stated policy:

Internet browser compatibility. webtrees supports the use of most current versions of open-source browsers such as Firefox, Chrome, and Safari. We will do our best to support others such as Opera and Internet Explorer, though not their earlier versions. Currently many things do not work well in IE6, and some not in IE7 either. We strongly recommend anyone using these obsolete browsers upgrade as soon as possible.

( Ref: ReadMe (Requirements) distributed with webtrees, and on the WIKI)
Nigel

www.our-families.info

Hosted at:
Follow me at:

Re: Lightbox not working in IE9 8 years 11 months ago #7

• JustCarmen
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Sorry but english is not my native language so sometimes I might say things not clear enough. Of course it is impossible to fulfill everybody's wish and support all browsers. I did not know there where over 50 but I know there are quite a lot. I meant of course the most common browsers.

Internet browser compatibility. webtrees supports the use of most current versions of open-source browsers such as Firefox, Chrome, and Safari. We will do our best to support others such as Opera and Internet Explorer, though not their earlier versions. Currently many things do not work well in IE6, and some not in IE7 either. We strongly recommend anyone using these obsolete browsers upgrade as soon as possible.

You guys are right. It is impossible to keep tracking compatibility for all the older browsers, but I wasn't aware of the fact that support for the newest IE version is not high on the list also, so I promise I will never complain about any IE issue ever ;). I just will give visitors who are experience any problems the advice to get a better browser...

Carmen

• Page: