Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.2.x). For issues related to beta or svn version please use their own Help forum.
When requesting help please provide as much information as possible. Explain what version of webtrees, PHP and MYSQL you are using. If possible provide a URL to your site so we can see the problem first-hand.
Tip: Think about putting these details in your signature, so it appears in the footer of ALL your messages

Question Sitemap privacy

More
11 years 9 months ago #1 by Rolf
Sitemap privacy was created by Rolf
I experimented with the sitemap module and discovered,
that it puts links to living individuals into the xml, who are hidden from visitors in webtrees.

Of course, if such a link is used (e.g. by a indexing bot of a search engine),
it gives the message that "the individual does not exist or you do not have permission to view".

My Question:
Shouldn't the sitemap module better only generate links to individuals, which are visible to visitors?

Thanks for explaining!
Rolf

Rolf
www.familienstamm.ch
Using: webtrees 2.0.19, PHP 7.4.25

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Re: Sitemap privacy
The sitemap only includes links to individuals where the name is visible.

So, if you have "show private names" => "show to visitors", then all records will be included.

Also, the sitemap is generated according to the *current visitor*. If you are logged in as an administrator, and you fetch the sitemap file directly, then you will always see everything. webtrees relies on the fact that google does not log in.

Also, the sitemap files are cached for 14 days.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
11 years 9 months ago #3 by Rolf
Replied by Rolf on topic Solved: Sitemap privacy

The sitemap only includes links to individuals where the name is visible.
So, if you have "show private names" => "show to visitors", then all records will be included.

On my site the setting of "Names of private individuals" is "show to members".

Also, the sitemap is generated according to the *current visitor*. If you are logged in as an administrator, and you fetch the sitemap file directly, then you will always see everything. webtrees relies on the fact that google does not log in.
Also, the sitemap files are cached for 14 days.

In this case, my question is answered: I was logged in on a separate tab as admin.
And: When I fetch the sitemap logged in as admin, the "wrong" sitemap is cached,
and when I log out and fetch it again, I (or google) get the cached sitemap with links to private indivs.

I found, that clearing the cache seems to be possible by using the Button Save under Administration/Sitemaps.
After this, fetching the sitemap when logged out filters the individuals as desired.

Thanks for the explanations!
Rolf

Rolf
www.familienstamm.ch
Using: webtrees 2.0.19, PHP 7.4.25