This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.3.x). For issues related to beta or svn version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Is webtrees better than Phpgedview? 8 years 2 months ago #1

• ladydenmark
  • ladydenmark's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi, I just stumbled over webtrees. I have used Phpgedview since 2008 (I think), sometimes with tears, mostly with smiles.

I have looked at the demo with the royal family - it looks nice and in some way familiar :-)

What is the advantage in "upgrading" to webtrees? What is new and different?
I have a provider with PHP 5.2, 5.3 and 5.4, and MySQL 5.1 - is that sufficient?

Can I while testing place it in its own directory - and maybe ask it to use data from the same MySQL-database as the Phpgedview?

As you can see, I am a bit nervous to try something new, but on the other hand php needs opgrading...

Kirsten in Denmark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is webtrees better than Phpgedview? 8 years 2 months ago #2

• ladydenmark
  • ladydenmark's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I am sorry - I should have read the wiki - everything is explained there.
See you when I get problems :-)
Kirsten

Is webtrees better than Phpgedview? 8 years 2 months ago #3

• kiwi
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Kirsten

That question has been asked a lot, so you should do a search on these pages.

But I'll attempt to list a couple of the most important differences.

1 - webtrees (note - no capital "w" EVER) is totally database driven, so more reliable and a LOT faster.
2 - PGV is actually a virtually dead project. There is minimal bug fixing and NO active development; webtrees however is upgraded 6 to eight times per year. It is VERY active.
3 -because it is under active development webtrees is highly secure from all currently known hacking techniques.
4 - webtrees uses a limited and widely supported range of standard internal code libraries (Zend, jQuery, Modernizr etc)

It would be hard to list all the other changes - there have been over 10,000 code changes since we forked from PGV almost three years ago. Browser and server software has also moved on in that time, and webtrees has stayed totally up-to-date.

How much more do you need :-)

One big BUT - you have noticed that webtrees looks a little similar to PGV. Don't expect that to be any more than just "similar". In fact almost everything has been changed, so assume you will almost be starting your learning process from scratch. That may sound tough, but there are lots of people here to help you, plus help texts in the system, and extensive WIKI articles (see links in menu above here)

I have a provider with PHP 5.2, 5.3 and 5.4, and MySQL 5.1 - is that sufficient?

Yes - but use the latest they have available.

Can I while testing place it in its own directory - and maybe ask it to use data from the same MySQL-database as the Phpgedview?

Yes. Further, webtrees includes in the set-up process an optional PGV-to-webtrees"wizard". This will set up webtrees for you based on ALL your settings and configurations from PGV (where they still exist in webtrees). PLUS, it is a non-destructive transfer. Your PGV site will NOT be changed in any way. webtrees will (can) use the same database, but will create its own tables (pre-fixed "wt_").

One tip - there is an unfortunate minor bug with the current versions PGV transfer wizard. So start with webtrees 1.3.1 (available here in Downloads), transfer your PGV data using the wizard, then upgrade to webtrees 1.3.2. Saves a lot of heart-ache. The upgrade is a simple case of copying all the new files over to replace the old. Nothing more than that is required in 99.9% of cases.
Nigel

www.our-families.info

Hosted at:
Follow me at:

Last edit: by kiwi.

Is webtrees better than Phpgedview? 8 years 2 months ago #4

• kiwi
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

ladydenmark wrote: I am sorry - I should have read the wiki - everything is explained there.
Kirsten

Before you start - read my final paragraph in previous posting.....
Nigel

www.our-families.info

Hosted at:
Follow me at:

Is webtrees better than Phpgedview? 8 years 2 months ago #5

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen

Kirsten, just so you know, we have over 1,100 active webservers and probably over 2,000 trees in operation.
We have hundreds from whom we never hear anything as their sites run without problems, or their problems have been discovered and discussed by others, prior to their own instance.

So, again, JSYK, we expect that we'll never have to hear from you about a problem -> only the joy you experience in using a quality, free program.
Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

Is webtrees better than Phpgedview? 8 years 2 months ago #6

• Jacoline
Hi Kirsten,

Welcome to webtrees. I doubt you will regret using webtrees vs. phpgedview. I transfered a couple years back and never regret it once!

Jamie (from Denmark)
Who is still noobish after 5 years with webtrees (since 7-21-2010)

My family roots can be found on jaconelli.dk/webtrees (and several other pages)
(latest) webtrees: www.familien-johnsen.dk

Kontakt mig for support på dansk!

• Page: