Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.3.x). For issues related to beta or svn version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.

Question How to set an individual entirely private

• JustCarmen
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
11 years 4 weeks ago #1 by JustCarmen
How to set an individual entirely private was created by JustCarmen
My mother don't want her ancestors listed online. I have to respect that so for the past few years I managed her branch offline and kept it seperate from my main online tree. For my main tree I do all the editing online within webtrees, so I don't have a complete offline tree.
Since my mothers tree is growing, I know that if I ever will be able to merge the tree with my main tree I have to do it now otherwise it will be to big too handle. I said merging, but I know merging is a bad idea, so my plan is to enter all the information again in my main tree.

But I have tried some options but I can't figure it out. I want to privatize all the individuals in this part of the tree so they are only visible by me (not even by other managers). I don't mind if I have to set an option for each individual separately but even that seems impossible. I can privatize facts but I can't privatize the entire record (not in the frontend and not in the backend). Or do I miss something?

Carmen
Designer of the JustLight theme (comes with a light and dark color palette), Fancy Imagebar, Fancy Research Links and Fancy Treeview for webtrees 2

Check my website at www.justcarmen.nl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 years 4 weeks ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic How to set an individual entirely private
To make a record private, add a "Restriction: show to managers" to the record.

If you don't see "Restriction" in the list of facts/events, then you need to add RESN in the tree config page.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• JustCarmen
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
11 years 4 weeks ago #3 by JustCarmen
Replied by JustCarmen on topic How to set an individual entirely private
I am sorry but I really can't find it. In the list with facts and events on the frontend I have no RESN option. I can only set a restriction when entering a fact like birth or death because there is a plus sign with a restriction option, just like you can enter a source or a note with the fact. But I can't set it on the whole record.

I tried to find the option in the backend in the edit options of the family tree.
I have searched through all the lists with facts/events but in none of the lists I can find the RESN option. I tried to type it in the customs tags but that also didn't work. Is there something else I can do?

Carmen
Designer of the JustLight theme (comes with a light and dark color palette), Fancy Imagebar, Fancy Research Links and Fancy Treeview for webtrees 2

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 years 4 weeks ago #4 by fisharebest

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net
Attachments:

More
11 years 4 weeks ago #5 by kiwi
Greg

If it is OK to add RESN manually in the admin page, why isn't it listed for adding using the Add facts GUI in the same place?

More
11 years 4 weeks ago #6 by kiwi

JustCarmen wrote: Is there something else I can do?

As greg pointed out, you can add it manually in Admin, then use it for each individual.

But regarding your plan to re-enter the additional GEDCOM records from your offline tree. You don't say how many individuals, families, sources, etc that is. If more than a few, have you considered appending the tree to your existing one, then merging any common records? All you need to do first is adjust the XREFs so they don't conflict with any in your existing tree (easily done in MSExcel) then copy/paste to the end of your existing tree (exported from webtrees), then import the revised tree back into the database.

In the process, before you append the smaller tree, you could manually add the tag "1 RESN confidential" to each individual, to achieve the same total privacy Greg described.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 years 4 weeks ago #7 by fisharebest

If it is OK to add RESN manually in the admin page, why isn't it listed for adding using the Add facts GUI in the same place?

Probably just an oversight. The list of tags is set in

WT_Gedcom_Tag::getPicklistFacts()

Should this tag also be included by default?

• JustCarmen
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
11 years 4 weeks ago #8 by JustCarmen
Thanks, I have typed the RESN tag manually in after the other tags like in the screenshot and now I have the option listed on the frontend.

So far so good I thought, but unfortunately it is not working as it should. See the screenshot.

Carmen

Attachments:

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 years 4 weeks ago #9 by fisharebest
This is a "read only" restriction.

You need to select "show to managers"

More
11 years 4 weeks ago #10 by kiwi
Looks like you set it to one level too high. Set it to "show to managers" not "only managers can edit"

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 years 4 weeks ago #11 by fisharebest
PS - you can also set a privacy rule (family tree settings, privacy tab) that hides the "Restriction tags" from visitors.

This keeps the display cleaner.....

More
11 years 4 weeks ago #12 by kiwi

fisharebest wrote: Should this tag also be included by default?

Probably would be a good idea.

• JustCarmen
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
11 years 4 weeks ago #13 by JustCarmen

But regarding your plan to re-enter the additional GEDCOM records from your offline tree. You don't say how many individuals, families, sources, etc that is. If more than a few, have you considered appending the tree to your existing one, then merging any common records? All you need to do first is adjust the XREFs so they don't conflict with any in your existing tree (easily done in MSExcel) then copy/paste to the end of your existing tree (exported from webtrees), then import the revised tree back into the database.

In the process, before you append the smaller tree, you could manually add the tag "1 RESN confidential" to each individual, to achieve the same total privacy Greg described.

Thanks Kiwi for describing this process. That looks like a good option to try and certainly quicker. I will certainly try it out.

Carmen

• JustCarmen
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
11 years 4 weeks ago - 11 years 4 weeks ago #14 by JustCarmen
Ok thanks guys for your help. You are so quick that when I am typing a message the answers are already there haha.

But it is working now. I have set he privacy option one level higher. But does this means it is also invisible for members with edit rights?

Carmen

Last edit: 11 years 4 weeks ago by JustCarmen. Reason: typo

More
11 years 4 weeks ago - 11 years 4 weeks ago #15 by kiwi

JustCarmen wrote: But it is working now. I have set he privacy option one level higher. But does this means it is also invisible for members with edit rights?

Yes. It will only be visible to users you created as "managers" or "administrators". Normally that would mean just yourself. But given the sensitivity of your problem, you should perhaps create test users of each type to be comfortable you have "seen it with your own eyes" :-)
Last edit: 11 years 4 weeks ago by kiwi.

• JustCarmen
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
11 years 4 weeks ago #16 by JustCarmen

But given the sensitivity of your problem, you should perhaps create test users of each type to be comfortable you have "seen it with your own eyes" :-)

Yes I am the only administrator of my website. But I will test it out as you suggested.

Should this tag also be included by default?
Probably would be a good idea.

I agree it would be a good idea to set the RESN tag by default. It saves a lot of searching ;).

Thanks again!

Carmen

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #17 by macalter
Replied by macalter on topic How to set an individual entirely private

JustCarmen wrote: Thanks, I have typed the RESN tag manually in after the other tags like in the screenshot and now I have the option listed on the frontend.

So far so good I thought, but unfortunately it is not working as it should. See the screenshot.

I'm trying to figure out just where your Restriction appears on the page you show in your image, and can't. Am trying to follow this thread to set RESN too. I added it to the list of tags in Admin, as instructed.

---
macalter
webtrees 2.1.18
Mac.alter [update: 24 Jan 2024]
webtrees 2.1.18 | PHP Version 8.1.17 | mySQL 8.1 | MacOS 10.15.17

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #18 by kiwi
In the Add facts drop down at the bottom of the Individual page - Facts & Events tab:

Attachment not found