This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.3.x). For issues related to beta or svn version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Getting started with Google Maps 8 years 2 months ago #1

• knuth
  • knuth's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi,
I have just uploaded my gedcom file to webtrees, which works like a charm. Now I would like to try out the map reports. In my database, there are hundreds of place names, almost all in Norway. Some of theses names (like Oslo, Bergen and many more) I would expect Google Maps to identify, either as a unique name or with alternatives. Others, like farm names, parish names, and historical names, I will need to identify by dropping a pin on the right location. The names are not registered using a standard place - county - country structure. My newbie questions are:
- How do I get started to get Google Maps to recognize the most common names?
- How do I proceed to pin-point the remaining "non-standard" names?
- How do I assure that these idenitfications survive my next upload of an updated gedcom file (my editing is done off-line using another genealogy program)

Knut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Getting started with Google Maps 8 years 2 months ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

- How do I get started to get Google Maps to recognize the most common names?

Admin -> GoogleMaps -> Geographic Data -> Import

- How do I proceed to pin-point the remaining "non-standard" names?

Admin -> GoogleMaps -> Geographic Data -> Edit

- How do I assure that these idenitfications survive my next upload of an updated gedcom file (my editing is done off-line using another genealogy program)

The geographic data is "global" to the system, and not part of any tree. Therefore it is not lost when you delete / re-import a tree.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Getting started with Google Maps 8 years 2 months ago #3

• vytux
The only point I'd like to add is that you should first work on standardizing your data... Google Module will work much better if all of your place names follow the same standard of data entry
Vytautas

webtrees 1.7.9 (MODS: vytux_cousins, vytux_gallery3, vytux_pages, fancy_imagebar, fancy_treeview, Ancestral fan chart)
PHP 7.1.2, MySQL 5.7.17 x86_64 GPL, Nginx (mainline)
ged.vytux.com
Help translate Vytux Modules at translate.vytux.com/

• Page: