Web based family history software

Question [SOLVED] webtrees 2.0.0-alpha.5: Placename Import Broken

• dbq-andersons
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 weeks ago - 5 years 2 weeks ago #1 by dbq-andersons
Hi Everyone,

Since I upgraded my private test site from 2.0.0-alpha.4 to 2.0.0-alpha.5, my GEDCOM import reports that the first placename in the GEDCOM is an invalid GEDCOM record.

Error I receive when importing GEDCOM:
Code:
Invalid GEDCOM record 0 _PLAC Afton, Sedgwick, Kansas, United States 1 MAP 2 LATI N37.6027806 2 LONG W97.6316694 0 _PLAC Afton, Sedgwick, Kansas, United States 1 MAP 2 LATI N37.6027806 2 LONG W97.6316694

Raw GEDCOM for that place:
Code:
0 _PLAC Afton, Sedgwick, Kansas, United States 1 MAP 2 LATI N37.6027806 2 LONG W97.6316694

Did something in this mechanism change? If so, what format in the GEDCOM is now needed to import placenames?

Thanks,

Bill

Bill Anderson | Onalaska, WI | genealogy.dbq-andersons.com
webtrees 2.1.16 | Apache 2.4.52-1 | PHP 8.1.2-1 | MySQL 8.0.32-0
Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS Running on a PC in My Basement
Last edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by dbq-andersons.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic webtrees 2.0.0-alpha.5: Placename Import Broken
The import logic is expecting an XREF.

e.g. something like
Code:
0 @P123@ _PLAC

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• dbq-andersons
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #3 by dbq-andersons
Replied by dbq-andersons on topic webtrees 2.0.0-alpha.5: Placename Import Broken
Thanks Greg for the reply.

Since RootsMagic GEDCOM export does not include an XREF with the placenames (*sigh*), looks like I'll have to tweak my rootsmagic -> webtrees GEDCOM conversion script (already does some tag removal and image path wrangling) to include adding those in.

Thanks again,

Bill

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #4 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic webtrees 2.0.0-alpha.5: Placename Import Broken
I think the previous version of webtrees would have created a dummy XREF to match the type (_PLAC), and each place would have overwritten the previous one in the database.

So you'd have been left with just the final place record - which would have been ignored.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #5 by ric2015

dbq-andersons wrote: looks like I'll have to tweak my rootsmagic -> webtrees GEDCOM conversion script

While you're at it, you could convert these _PLAC-Records to _LOC-Records . This type of record isn't supported by webtrees directly either (not standard GEDCOM), but by my "Shared Places" module - You'd be able to use the location data in webtrees then (if you don't already have it on the places themselves anyway). You'd have to convert

Code:
0 _PLAC Afton, Sedgwick, Kansas, United States 1 MAP 2 LATI N37.6027806 2 LONG W97.6316694

to

Code:
0 @L123@ _LOC 1 NAME Afton, Sedgwick, Kansas, United States 1 MAP 2 LATI N37.6027806 2 LONG W97.6316694

Otherwise, as pointed out by Greg, webtrees doesn't do anything with _PLAC-records, so you can also just drop them completely in your script (if you don't want to re-export from webtrees).

Richard

webtrees 2.1.17 at cissee.de/webtrees2
Vesta custom modules (Classic Look & Feel, Gov4webtrees, Shared Places, Extended Relationships) available at cissee.de

• dbq-andersons
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #6 by dbq-andersons
Replied by dbq-andersons on topic webtrees 2.0.0-alpha.5: Placename Import Broken
Thanks for the tip Richard. I'll keep that in mind as I change things around.

Cheers!

Bill

• dbq-andersons
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #7 by dbq-andersons
So, I took my own ideas and Greg's and Richard's..thought about them...and went completely somewhere else. Seems to be how my script writing works more often than not.

I wrote a script on my server late last year that harvests the data pertaining to all of the places in a RootsMagic-exported GEDCOM and dumps the data into a WebTrees-importable file ($LEVEL;$COUNTRY;$STATE;$COUNTY;$TOWN;$LONG;$LAT;$ZOOM;). I added a few lines to that script that lop off the last two sections of the GEDCOM (_PLAC and _EVDEF) once the placename file is built. Import is working much better with the truncated GEDCOM.

Thank Greg and Richard for the thoughts and explanations.

Bill