Web based family history software

Question PGV transfer wizard

• thornton
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 7 months ago #1 by thornton
PGV transfer wizard was created by thornton
I have a PGV installation at 4.2.3 level. When I tried to transfer all I got was that no PGV was found in that librarary (folder). I know it's there. I can access it. The only reason I want to transfer my PGV installation is to get the User table. Is there a way of exporting the PGV user table and importing it into webtrees? I upload my GEDCOM regularly anyway so I don't really need to transfer that data. After repeated tranfer tries, I uploaded my GEDCOM file and set the webtrees configration to access my medis from the firewall directory I use in PGV. Everything seems to work correctly!!

When I go to the Data and GEDCOM administration window, I no longer see an option to transfer from PGV. Is this a one time option?

thornton

webtrees 2.1.16
PHP 5.4.24, Apache 2.2.26 MySQL 5.5.36
Website - www.frf.com/wt_2.1.16

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 7 months ago #2 by rick
Replied by rick on topic Re: PGV transfer wizard
Hi Thornton,

Yes, once the database has been filled and you copied the config.ini.php to the data folder, the import option is not available anymore. To have a new session, you could delete the database table and remove the config.ini.php file. Go to the website of webtrees and you can reinstall the software again, including the import of PGV.

The path should be something like :

/var/www/web1/web where in the last web folder, the main files are located of PGV.

Rick.

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
13 years 7 months ago #3 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic Re:PGV transfer wizard
Thornton
The short answer is NO - the two user tables are not really compatible as they have been split, but yours is the first we've heard of any user transfer table issues. I would suggest you simply trash the webtrees installation and start over. It goes pretty fast - even my 5 GEDCOM 85,000 INDI files transfers in less than 5 minutes.

I've done the setup remotely and locally, perhaps a dozen or so times, and never had this issue, although I did have one problem with one user being wiped. I simply used the new user feature and reentered this person. I have yet to do a new wizard transfer since there have been several improvements, but intend to do so later today to spot any remaining issues.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

More
13 years 7 months ago #4 by kiwi
Replied by kiwi on topic Re: PGV transfer wizard
Thornton

As Rick said, it is a once-only feature, though not related to the config.ini.php file. Once you have populated the tables with data from a GEDCOM import it would be wrong to over-write it with PGV data.

Unfortunately the users table is not a straightforward one to transfer as there are differences between PGV and WT. I would recommend you delete your imported GEDCOM file, and (using PhpMyAdmin or whatever 'back-end' tool your web host provides) empty all the WT tables. This will make the transfer wizard once again available.

Then using Rick's suggestion try again with a different address for your PGV path, as I'm sure thats all the problem was.

A couple of other comments:

The only reason I want to transfer my PGV installation is to get the User table.

That is probably not correct. What about all your GEDCOM config and privacy settings? The webtrees defaults are quite different from PGV's and stored in the DB not a file, so you will have a lot of re-configuring to do.

I upload my GEDCOM regularly

Thats fine, but note that webtrees does NOT automatically synchronise changes made during use into your GEDCOM file. You will need to "export" your data to create a new GEDCOM file before using it off-line.

• thornton
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 7 months ago #5 by thornton
Replied by thornton on topic Re: PGV transfer wizard
Nigel,

Thank you for the response. I'll probably do as you suggest and restart. If I understand correctly, I should delete and recreate the database, delete the config.ini.php file and then restart. I obviously didn't have the correct address for my PGV database. So I'll try Rick's suggest path.

I looked at the user tables for both installations and realized that there was too many differences to be able to export/import.

Thanks again for the help.

Thornton

webtrees 2.1.16

• ToyGuy
More
13 years 7 months ago #6 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic Re: PGV transfer wizard
Thornton
And on my MACs,
/Library/WebServer/Documents/genealogy/PGV-423

Please note above in your first posting that you misspelled Library. This feature would be easier if there was a browse function - something we're looking into - as the path has to be exact and can be quite complicated.
-Stephen

• thornton
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 7 months ago #7 by thornton
Thanks all for the help. I've started anew and now have a new problem. This time I find the PGV database but get the following message -

The PhpGedView database configuration settings are bad: exception 'PDOException' with message 'SQLSTATE[42S02]: Base table or view not found: 1146 Table 'frfcom_ftree.pgv_user_setting' doesn't exist' in /home3/frfcom/public_html/webtrees/includes/classes/class_wt_db.php:352 Stack trace: #0 /home3/frfcom/public_html/webtrees/includes/classes/class_wt_db.php(352): PDOStatement->execute(Array) #1 [internal function]: WT_DBStatement->__call(Array, Array) #2 /home3/frfcom/public_html/webtrees/pgv_to_wt.php(99): WT_DBStatement->execute('execute', Array) #3 {main}

Any suggestions?

Thornton

webtrees 2.1.16

More
13 years 7 months ago #8 by kiwi
Have a read through this forum topic:
webtrees.net/forums/2-open-discussion/23...rees-transfer-wizard

Its a problem we've seen before, but thought was fixed. Most likely cause is a mis-match between users in your pgv_users table and the pgv_user_setting.

Can you confirm what build of webtrees you are using?

• ToyGuy
More
13 years 7 months ago #9 by ToyGuy
I can confirm that, with PGV 4.2.3 stable release, or with SVN releases up to 6960, the latest public release of webtrees at svn-9227, there are no major transfer issues remaining and the problem found by Thornton is well-resolved.

I may suggest it is most likely either a PGV version or webtrees level issue.

• thornton
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 7 months ago #10 by thornton
I am out for a while. Probably be tomorrow until I can get back to this

Thanks!

Thornton

webtrees 2.1.16

More
13 years 7 months ago #11 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Re: PGV transfer wizard
check your version of PGV?

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• thornton
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 7 months ago #12 by thornton
I have checked my PGV version. I just downloaded it yesterday. It is 4.2.3. However, I don't have a pgv_user_settings table. The only 2 tables relating to users are the pgv_users and the pgv_user_comments tables. My webtrees version is 9221, downloaded on 8/7.

Thornton

webtrees 2.1.16

• ToyGuy
More
13 years 7 months ago #13 by ToyGuy
Thornton
Using phpMyAdmin (or your preferred DB manager), you should review your PGV installation. There should be 39 tables, including:
pgv_users
pgv_user_comments
pgv_user_gedcom_setting
pgv_user_setting

If any of these are missing, then you failed to properly set up PGV sometime during its operation, either not doing an update of the DB when required to create tables, or failing to import (most likely the first).

Greg will advise, but it may be necessary to run some kind of updater to the tables prior to using your PGV-2-WT wizard as the table is required to properly move data across and should be part of your current PGV installation.

• thornton
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 7 months ago #14 by thornton
As I said in my last post, the ONLY 2 user tables I have in my PGV installation are the pgv_users and pgv_user_comments tables. I have a total of 30 tables in the PGV installation. That installation appeats to be operating OK. I am able to add new users and seem to have no trouble accessing the system as that new user. Is there some way of generating and populating the missing tables?

Thornton

webtrees 2.1.16

More
13 years 7 months ago #15 by kiwi
Thornton

Don't panic - I'm pretty sure you have helped identify an issue we need to address.

I just did a completely clean install of a freshly downloaded PGV 4.2.3 (basic).

It only creates 20 tables, and the only user table is pgv_users.

The fact you have 30 tables suggest you have some of the modules installed, such is Research Assistant, and GoogleMaps.

I think some of the additional tables Stephen is referring to relate to ones either left over from earlier versions of PGV (but no longer used) or created as part of the PGV upgrade process, rather than clean install.

Clearly we need to investigate further.

Did you upgrade your PGV installation from something before 4.2.3? I think that will be where pgv_user_comments comes from.

• thornton
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 7 months ago #16 by thornton
Nigel,

No panic. I'm just an old man playing with his genealogy. I've used PGV since version 3 something. Yes, I upgraded from earler versions as I went along. At one point, don't remember when, I did a completely new install. The last couple of times, including to 4.2.3, have been upgrades.

Thanks for the help.

Thornton

webtrees 2.1.16

More
13 years 7 months ago #17 by kiwi
Thornton

Could you check something for me. In your file phpgedview/includes/session.php, near the top you should have a line like this:

define('PGV_SCHEMA_VERSION', 10);

Is it there, and is it identical, or does it have a different number to 10?

• thornton
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 7 months ago #18 by thornton
Nigel,

It's as you show it. Version 10.

webtrees 2.1.16

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #19 by kiwi
OK, so thats correct.

What "should" be happening is that for PGV versions with a PGV_SCHEMA_VERSION less then 12 (which exists only for svn versions later than the standard release) it has to work without the pgv_user/pgv_user_setting/pgv_user_gedcom_setting.

What I'm struggling to understand is why, in your case, that isn't happening.
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by kiwi. Reason: Slight error in explaining the logic

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #20 by kiwi
... and I think I've found the problem.

Can you send me a contact address so I can give you a revised file to test?

The revised file is now in svn here, but may be a day or so before its released as a "nightly build".
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by kiwi. Reason: email address removed after use